College watch
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: College watch

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Suspended

College watch

What watch do you think can take 24 hour use and be showered with every day for a year with out having the seals replaced. It has to be automatic or manual and in order to stand up to all the showering it has to have a decent water resistance. I have been looking at rolex and panerai for some time now but am open to new suggestions. Can a watch be showered in all the time if i have the gaskets replaced annually? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Aaron_bracco; September 2nd, 2012 at 16:29.

re: College watch

I'm going to assume you mean "college"? And "decent"?
    TimeSaver likes this.

Banned

If you buy a certified divers watch ( DIN or SAE certified) you will be perfectly fine. The manufacturers recommend though that the watches are tested once a year.
    Rolex, Omega, Sinn and some others make those watches.

Do not be fooled by the "diver look", those watches have not been individually tested and a small % do not have the stated WR.

You can of course buy any watch, and have it tested for the WR by a competent watch maker.

A Diver ( DIN or SAE) must have a WR of minimum 100 meters ( tested to 125 % ) but a watch with a ( tested by watchmaker) WR of minimum 30 meters will be fine.

So, you have in fact a huge range of watches to choose from!

A few questions to the OP:

Which style? ( sporty/ diver, dressy, Pilots, Mil look)
    Just time keeping, or other functions like time measuring ( chrono) ?
    Budget in USD?

When it comes to sturdiness, mechanic watches are more or less the same. You want a Sapphire crystal. Some watches have a hardened Sapphire crystal.
    The case you want is steel, not plated bwith gold, or solid gold, as thiis scratches easily.

A few manufacturers use a hardened steel case. Those materials are fantastic, the watches look brand new even after several use of hard use.

There are a few "unknown" brands I would recommend you to look into.
    English: Bremont
    German: Sinn, Damasko, Glashütte Original.
    Last edited by Janne; September 2nd, 2012 at 16:29.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    If you buy a certified divers watch ( DIN or SAE certified) you will be perfectly fine. The manufacturers recommend though that the watches are tested once a year.
    Rolex, Omega, Sinn and some others make those watches.

Do not be fooled by the "diver look", those watches have not been individually tested and a small % do not have the stated WR.

You can of course buy any watch, and have it tested for the WR by a competent watch maker.

A Diver ( DIN or SAE) must have a WR of minimum 100 meters ( tested to 125 % ) but a watch with a ( tested by watchmaker) WR of minimum 30 meters will be fine.

So, you have in fact a huge range of watches to choose from!

A few questions to the OP:

Which style? ( sporty/ diver, dressy, Pilots, Mil look)
    Just time keeping, or other functions like time measuring ( chrono) ?
    Budget in USD?

When it comes to sturdiness, mechanic watches are more or less the same. You want a Sapphire crystal. Some watches have a hardened Sapphire crystal.
    The case you want is steel, not plated bwith gold, or solid gold, as thiis scratches easily.

A few manufacturers use a hardened steel case. Those materials are fantastic, the watches look brand new even after several use of hard use.

There are a few "unknown" brands I would recommend you to look into.
    English: Bremont
    German: Sinn, Damasko, Glashütte Original.
    Are panerai's certified i am looking into the pam 177 titanium. I am also looking at the ceramic sub no date and a few iwc aquatimers. Price range is 10 grand at the most as i will have to work for years to come to get it. Not dressy and just time and maybe date i have a iPhone for other things. I just don't want the watch flooding. Thanks! these pictures are in my nightmares.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Aaron_bracco; September 2nd, 2012 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_bracco View Post
    Can a watch be showered in all the time if i have the gaskets replaced annually?
    With all due respect to the original poster, I always wonder why people ask this. Why would you want to take a shower with your watch on, what's wrong with just taking it off for a few minutes and leaving it on the side while you take a shower? My thinking is that even if my watch is certified to 200 m , it probably isn't certifed for soap, shampoo and hot 45c (110f) water.
    Formerguide and Kittysafe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    With all due respect to the original poster, I always wonder why people ask this. Why would you want to take a shower with your watch on, what's wrong with just taking it off for a few minutes and leaving it on the side while you take a shower? My thinking is that even if my watch is certified to 200 m , it probably isn't certifed for soap, shampoo and hot 45c (110f) water.
    Completely agree. Take your watch off in the shower. No need not to, at least from my perspective...

Dan
    jtstav likes this.
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post

Because if i take it off in collage it will get stolen and i will be out more money than 100 of those little gaskets i usually never wear my watch in the shower. i just use cool water, a little dish soap, and a soft tooth brush to clean my watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_bracco View Post
    Because if i take it off in collage it will get stolen and i will be out more money than 100 of those little gaskets i usually never wear my watch in the shower. i just use cool water, a little dish soap, and a soft tooth brush to clean my watches.
    If this is a concern then you should be buying watch that you can afford to have stolen. Get a Seiko diver with the 7s26 inside for less than $200 and you have one of the most dependable watches around from a full-blown proper watch manufacturer with full in-house components. Decent bracelets, too.
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Banned

The seals will take soap, water hotter than your body, and everything else your body can take.
    I am not sure if Panerais are Din/ SAE tested. They do not mention it in the paperwork.

I know for a fact that some Sinn models ( the diving models) Some Rolex models and dome Omega models comply.
    There are others. But, as I mentioned, you can buy any watch with a WR of 30 meters or more, and have the actual WR tested.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post

If this is a concern then you should be buying watch that you can afford to have stolen. Get a Seiko diver with the 7s26 inside for less than $200 and you have one of the most dependable watches around from a full-blown proper watch manufacturer with full in-house components. Decent bracelets, too.
    But what's the fun in that. :)
    Janne likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information