Is this a common practice by The Swatch Group? Maintenance service.
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Is this a common practice by The Swatch Group? Maintenance service.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Is this a common practice by The Swatch Group? Maintenance service.

Hi. I have a Khaki Scuba with H-10 movement and I was looking for another watch to use as alternative. Basically 1 month I'd use the Hammy and 1 month something else. I realized the majority of watches I like are eiter being discontinued (certan Seiko...) or are 2824-2 powered watches or Sellitas which have a higher beat rate than the H-10. OK I thought, maybe I should settle for a higher beat movement and assume at some point I'll service it "soon" since they apparently need shorter service intervals.

But that's not my issue really. In the process of investigating about such things I read a lot of comments in this forum posted over the years that claim as a fact that as it's not cost effective to really service the movement they are replaced when you send the watch for a service to a Swatch centre. These claims are not usually contested and the discussion rarely focus on such claims so I'm not sure what to expect about this.

I can only speak English and Spanish, and for example all the official Hamilton sites I can read claim the maintenance service include:
    Removal, dismantling and disassembly of movement, replacement of worn or damaged components, cleaning, oiling and reassembly, or replacement of the complete movement.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/es-es/...ervention.html
    https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int...ervention.html
    On the other hand the service costs are stated as €170/$170... To be this is a fine amount.

I cannot have a definitive answer from this info as they don't specify when they directy replace the entire movement so I ask... When you send your watch for a service, is common practice really among the Swatch brands to directly replace the entire movement without asking you first? Assuming the watch only needs oiling and gasket replacement.

To me the movement is the soul of the watch. It's as a charm you wear while going through life. If the watch is new and defective I don't mind if they swap the entire movement when you send the watch for a service (I think it's even desirable). But if in 8 years I service my watch I don't like the idea about them replacing the soul of my watch. IMO it kills the reason behind owning a mechanical watch. Some wheel, the barrel, I don't mind if they need replacement. But the entire movement? No! Do they really simply replace it?

On the other hand... If you had my mindset, would you simply wear the watch until it breaks and then leave it in your case as a relic and device that beat with you over the years, and then buy something else?
    whineboy likes this.
    ~Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba H823350
    ~Junghans Max Bill Handaufzug 027/3701.00
    ~Casio GW-M5610
    ~& Remontoir Cylindre 10 Rubis Pocket Watch ca. 1880-1933

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Re: Is this a common practice by The Swatch Group? Maintenance service.

You have come across one of pressing questions in life itself. Replace repair or, wear till it dies?

I say keep 'em running with a reasonable maintenance schedule..

EDIT: Swatch is a little pricey for service, seek out a local repair person, make him your best friend.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

So if Swatch is considered "pricey", that might be because they issue a complete movement replacement when they service your watch? :(
    ~Casio GW-M5610

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Quote Originally Posted by c185445 View Post
    So if Swatch is considered "pricey", that might be because they issue a complete movement replacement when they service your watch? :(
    I'm not trying to single out swatch Group, all manufacture service centres are expensive when compared to independent repair shop rates. They do, however have access to parts that may not be available to the independents.
    c185445, Karps1987, castlk and 1 others like this.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

ask... When you send your watch for a service, is common practice really among the Swatch brands to directly replace the entire movement without asking you first?
    Never ever experienced this. However, I can imagine that a serious calculation of profitability might lead Swatch Group Service Center to replace the movement.

Why not going local ? A local watchmaker might save you some money.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

No they are not replacing the movement when you get it serviced.

You're confused with what people are saying about replacing a movement. Many say that with a cheaper movement, that it is more economical to just replace it once it fails vs getting it serviced.
    c185445 likes this.

First of all, thanks to everyone for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Never ever experienced this. However, I can imagine that a serious calculation of profitability might lead Swatch Group Service Center to replace the movement.

Why not going local ? A local watchmaker might save you some money.
    You know what, I'm getting convinced to simply do this.

Being close to a nice city full of horologists maybe this would be a great idea. No worries about sending my watch far away. I want to restore my pocket watch and there is certain place run by a former Rolex worker where they even run their own training program. They say they have "their own lathe" (I assume they can produce some parts with that?). I'm not minding so much about the money but talking directly to the guy that will fiddle inside the soul of my watch makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
    No they are not replacing the movement when you get it serviced.

You're confused with what people are saying about replacing a movement. Many say that with a cheaper movement, that it is more economical to just replace it once it fails vs getting it serviced.
    I truly hope you're right that I'm misunderstanding and that swaping movements without telling you isn't at all that common. I don't mind paying extra for retaining as many original pieces from the movement as possible.

I guess as fastfras says I need a watchmaker in my circle of friends
    ~Casio GW-M5610

By the way, sorry for asking so much. If by september when I can order stuff again I cannot find on Amazon a Seiko SARB033 (it's close to being a perfect dress watch IMO), I discovered this other brand, named BOLDR, and this watch in particular:
    https://www.boldrsupply.co/collectio...pedition-eiger

Made me feel similarly as when I discovered the H82315931.

It runs a Sellita SW200-1. I understand it's a tough movement. But how about its serviceability? I don't know how it works, will local watchmakers be able to order parts in case they needed it?

I've read about ETA getting restrictive while Sellitas going into the opposite direction. Is that true? Do you guys like Sellita?
    ~Casio GW-M5610

Quote Originally Posted by fastfras View Post

I say keep 'em running with a reasonable maintenance schedule..

EDIT: Swatch is a little pricey for service, seek out a local repair person, make him your best friend.
    I am with him, if you have a decent repairer they will repair many different brands and will do the basics without unnecessary part/movement replacements. They are in many cases more reasonable on costs too.
    c185445 likes this.
    AP Royal Oak 14790, VC Overseas Chrono 49140, Rolex Submariner 16610, Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 2561.80, JLC Master Moonphase 18ct white 140.3.98, Longines 1921 Manual wind, Cartier Pasha 18ct Yellow W3004856 , Rolex Extra Prima 9ct 1924, Seiko Cocktail Time SSA345J1

Watches have NO soul . but if you insist on that analogy wouldn't a new movement be like a "re-birth" ???

MY $.02
    In Valor there is Hope - Tacitus

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information