Common or unique?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Common or unique?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Member Shikyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,213

    Common or unique?

    We all love watches. Otherwise you wouldn't be reading this (or you really got a problem). A simple question in my mind hasn't left me for hours: A mass produced watch(in-house, generic movement whatever) or a completely unique watch(only one exists, hand made by a watchmaker)? Which one would you pick and why? Would the answer depend on the price class?

    Personally, I love unique. I love to be different and if I can I'd always pick the unique one. I wouldn't buy a watch just because it's unique, though. I'd have to like it nevertheless. Its uniqueness is only a benefit, but it will never be a requirement. The price would have to match the effort put into the watch. Too low, and it's just suspicious and I'd skip it.
    Domo likes this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California-USA
    Posts
    36,958

    Re: Common or unique?

    Hand assembled, not hand made.

  3. #3
    Member Shikyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Common or unique?

    Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Hand assembled, not hand made.
    Is it not hand made when someone creates(with the help of tools) something out of the bare materials?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Intrepid04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cold and Brutal North
    Posts
    246

    Re: Common or unique?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shikyo View Post
    Is it not hand made when someone creates(with the help of tools) something out of the bare materials?
    Hum, not really, a watch is usually made of many tinny factory-made parts, manually assembled (of course). A car, for instance, it's not considered "hand made" for that matter; a cigar it is (at least the good ones! )

    Answering your main question: I also like uniqueness as well, when affordable. If the one put together by the watchmaker is of a similar or better quality and not overly priced in comparison, I would consider it. Some people like common brand names, though...
    Last edited by Intrepid04; April 5th, 2015 at 23:32.
    "Every watch has its own function." GP 2015.

  6. #5
    Member E8ArmyDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pacific N.W.
    Posts
    7,231

    Re: Common or unique?

    To me the greatest thing about Horology today(ha ha he said Hor)is that you no longer have to spend thousands of $ to get not only a unique watch but one that is connected to the history of our chosen hobby.Take this watch for instance.Put it side by side with the 35 year old Vintage model that sells for around $2000.00 if you can find them & only the most dedicated WIS would see the difference.Materials & construction methods are far superior to the vintage era,the price is not unobtainable to most WIS & talk about unique,chances of ever seeing one in the wild are about the same as winning the lottery..What could be better than that?

  7. #6
    Member Likestheshiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,462

    Re: Common or unique?

    Uniqueness or rarity doesn't matter much to me. I've literally never seen one of my watches on someone else's wrist, and I have several common models from popular brands. I appreciate craftsmanship, and of course high levels of craftsmanship can make a watch more rare, but in the end it's always a good thing if my watch is out there in sufficient numbers that repair or servicing is easy.

  8. #7
    Member Shikyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Common or unique?

    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid04 View Post
    Hum, not really, a watch is usually made of many tinny factory-made parts, manually assembled (of course). A car, for instance, it's not considered "hand made" for that matter; a cigar it is (at least the good ones! )
    So what do you call a watch that wasn't made with factory-made parts?

  9. #8
    Member rfortson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,398

    Re: Common or unique?

    Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    Uniqueness or rarity doesn't matter much to me. I've literally never seen one of my watches on someone else's wrist, and I have several common models from popular brands. I appreciate craftsmanship, and of course high levels of craftsmanship can make a watch more rare, but in the end it's always a good thing if my watch is out there in sufficient numbers that repair or servicing is easy.
    ^^^This.

    None of my watches are exclusive or unique, but I've also never seen any of my watches on anyone elses' wrist. This includes my Speedmaster and my Monster.

    That said, I like diversity in my collection, and luckily I can do that with affordables and vintage.
    chefmhf likes this.

  10. #9
    Member Shikyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Common or unique?

    Quote Originally Posted by E8ArmyDiver View Post
    To me the greatest thing about Horology today(ha ha he said Hor)is that you no longer have to spend thousands of $ to get not only a unique watch but one that is connected to the history of our chosen hobby.Take this watch for instance.Put it side by side with the 35 year old Vintage model that sells for around $2000.00 if you can find them & only the most dedicated WIS would see the difference.Materials & construction methods are far superior to the vintage era,the price is not unobtainable to most WIS & talk about unique,chances of ever seeing one in the wild are about the same as winning the lottery..What could be better than that?
    Obviously, owning one of those unique pieces(and winning the lottery).

    By the way, that's a beautiful watch.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,735

    Re: Common or unique?

    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid04 View Post
    Hum, not really, a watch is usually made of many tinny factory-made parts.
    Usually, but not always. OP is referring to the watches where all those tiny parts are hand made.
    Name:  cutting-out-staff-002.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  76.0 KB
    Shikyo, James A and Synequano like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. How common, in the UK are....
      By SARF in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: November 3rd, 2014, 11:15
    2. Two Unique Watch Cases, One Unique Bezel
      By art1118 in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: October 17th, 2013, 22:01
    3. Replies: 0
      Last Post: June 17th, 2011, 21:30
    4. Replies: 0
      Last Post: April 26th, 2011, 09:20
    5. Less common HEQ's
      By M4tt in forum High Accuracy Quartz watches
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: October 13th, 2008, 15:28

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •