Which companys make their own movements.

Thread: Which companys make their own movements.

Which companys make their own movements.

I'm interested in which watch company's make their entire model 'in house' as it were. Meaning raw materials come in.. watch come out.
    Whos doing it?

TT

stuffler,mike

Re: Which companys make their own movements.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    I'm interested in which watch company's make their entire model 'in house' as it were. Meaning raw materials come in.. watch come out.
    Whos doing it?

TT
    None I guess, if you really mean all parts. A good example are balances, shock protection, hands. I can´t remeber reading that there is a "manufacture par excellence", every manufacturer gets some parts pre-fabricated, even PP, Blancpain, Vacheron & Constantin, UN and let it be a crown only.

Seiko and Citizen have a nearly 100% ratio of in-house production IIRC.
    Mostly divers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    None I guess, if you really mean all parts. A good example are balances, shock protection, hands. I can´t remeber reading that there is a "manufacture par excellence", every manufacturer gets some parts pre-fabricated, even PP, Blancpain, Vacheron & Constantin, UN and let it be a crown only.
    Oh I see, well in that case who is making their own movements, anyone?

Seiko and Citizen noted, but I was thinking more of the smaller companies.

BTW, this is nothing new. My wife was just reading a biography that happened to mention the English watchmakers of the mid 1700's. Apparently even back then they were buying many parts made at other specialty shops and basically assembling them.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood View Post
    BTW, this is nothing new. My wife was just reading a biography that happened to mention the English watchmakers of the mid 1700's. Apparently even back then they were buying many parts made at other specialty shops and basically assembling them.
    Interesting Peter, I suppose the idea of some old fella' in a workshop some were making every part by hand is a bit of an overly idealistic view of things, if this is the way it has always been done!

I would add I don't see anything wrong with the system, it was just a wondering I had!

stuffler,mike

Oh I see, well in that case who is making their own movements, anyone?

Seiko and Citizen noted, but I was thinking more of the smaller companies.
    OK, I´ll start with Germany brands:

Glashütte Original (+ Union / using modified inhouse products of GO)
    Nomos/Wempe
    A. Lange & Söhne
    Volker Vyskocil ( http://www.uhrentechnik.de/vv_ger )
    Dornblüth (leaving out of consideration that the base plate is Unitas related)

Whos doing it?

TT
    Well there's Seiko... as many idiot savants on various boards will attest (at great length) is the only pureblood 100% in-house manufacturer. But as to *all* the raw materials, I don't know. I suspect Seiko probably buys in super-thin extruded sheet alloy in order to turn it into balance springs but ah, where does the steel come from? I don't think Seiko owns any foundries/extrusion plants as such. And not even Seiko owns the oil rigs and refineries which extract oil from the ground and crack it into lubricant for use in the movement (and anyway, wouldn’t Seiko have to invest in organic landfill and then wait 80 million years for the organic material to be turned into hydrocarbons first for it truly to be 100% in-house?). Also, most manufacturers doesn’t herd cattle whose hide can eventually be turned into leather, so strictly speaking its straps aren’t in-house either. Etc etc etc. It really depends where you draw the line.
    Last edited by publandlord; March 23rd, 2007 at 18:40.

Quote Originally Posted by publandlord View Post
    Well there's Seiko... as many idiot savants on various boards will attest (at great length) is the only pureblood 100% in-house manufacturer. But as to *all* the raw materials, I don't know. I suspect Seiko probably buys in super-thin extruded sheet alloy in order to turn it into balance springs but ah, where does the steel come from? I don't think Seiko owns any foundries/extrusion plants as such. And not even Seiko owns the oil rigs and refineries which extract oil from the ground and crack it into lubricant for use in the movement (and anyway, wouldn’t Seiko have to invest in organic landfill and then wait 80 million years for the organic material to be turned into hydrocarbons first for it truly to be 100% in-house?). Also, most manufacturers doesn’t herd cattle whose hide can eventually be turned into leather, so strictly speaking its straps aren’t in-house either. Etc etc etc. It really depends where you draw the line.
    I detect a little tongue in cheek I think, but I take your point.. Where to draw the line? As I say I wasn't being elitist simply wondering who’s doing what really. Thanks for the information thought, a good point well made!

I detect a little tongue in cheek I think
    Yes, maybe a little

There is a certain elitism about how far a manufacturer will go to source his own materials as well as parts (you should read some of the debates in the more, er, exacting threads on this board as well as others!) but the nice thing is you get to draw the line where you like, since it's your money. For a lot of folks, that a Rolex's movement design is bespoke to Rolex (regardless of where Rolex gets the bits) is a big draw; likewise that the Omega 1120 is based on one of most robust, widely manufacturered mecahnical movements around (ETA 2892) is more than enough for the buyer of an Omega Seamaster. However some folks will never be happy unless their manufacturer of choice owns the land from which the gold is mined to make the case, so...

Buy the watch you like. But then pick up a low-cost Seiko automatic for extra WIS points!

Thread Information