Comparable quality to Orient
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Comparable quality to Orient

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Comparable quality to Orient

So I got my Blue Ray the other day and it is solid, just like many of you have said it would be. I'm actually blown away by its quality based off of the low price I paid for it. This actually makes me happy that I held off purchasing an Aquaracer for $1400 more... The dial on the Orient is ridiculously good looking in the dark blue color, and so far it is running flawlessly for the first 3 days. I am also impressed with the lume. So long as it continues running well, I will continue supporting Orient.

This leads me to thinking, what are some other watches/brands at the low price point that surprises you with its quality and should be a worthwhile-low risk addition to any collection? I know of some Seikos, but what else?
    GTR83 likes this.

Re: Comparable quality to Orient

Hey,
    Glad to hear you are pleased with it.
    I havent found anything else of similar quality in that pricerange. I know many brands of similiar quality, but cost much more.

For an auto at that price point, it is tough to beat Seiko and Orient for quality. I have read some good reviews of some Sea-Gull models but have never owned one myself so I cannot say for sure. For Quartz in that price range, Citizen gets my vote. There are some really great looking Eco-Drives that are virtually maintenance free for life and I have been impressed with the quality for the price.

Glad you like your Ray, wear it in the best of health!
    Last edited by J.W.; February 14th, 2013 at 00:10.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
    For an auto at that price point, it is tough to beat Seiko and Orient for quality. I have read some good reviews of some Sea-Gull models but have never owned one myself so I cannot say for sure.

Glad you like your Ray, wear it in the best of health!
    Yes, I should have clarified... any automatics in the low price point.

And thank you!

Not sure how much you paid but FC and Nomos are usually seen as 'value' leaders, though I suspect for a bit more than the orient.

Enjoy your new watch.

Seiko Black Monster is one of those great deals. Also the Bulova Accutron watches in the Gemini series are quite nice and usually available through net dealers at reasonable prices.

Sea-Gull is the obvious choice. They don't really do divers or offer much in the way of sporty watches (although they do have some) if that's what you're into though. Sea-Gull makes fantastic dress watches with great finish for great prices. I prefer many of their dress offerings to Orient alternatives.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Seiko Black Monster is one of those great deals.
    I have almost bought this watch half a dozen times. The only thing that keeps me from it now is that anytime I buy a watch it means I better not go there again for a few months to stay in my wife's good graces. It is unfortunately too cheap for me to waste one of my golden opportunities on. I will get the same ire and renewed watch waiting period if I spend $200 on a watch as if I spend $1500... It is pretty screwed up when a watch you like cannot be bought because it is too cheap...
    Last edited by mpalmer; February 14th, 2013 at 05:13.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    I have almost bought this watch half a dozen times. The only thing that keeps me from it now is that anytime I buy a watch it means I better not go there again for a few months to stay in my wife's good graces. It is unfortunately too cheap for me to waste one of my golden opportunities on. I will get the same ire and renewed watch waiting period if I spend $200 on a watch as if I spend $1500... It is pretty screwed up when a watch you like cannot be bought because it is too cheap...
    Is that even relatable?...lol

I think you really need to take a good look at Steinhart. They are a bit over the Orient price point, but they are a ridiculous bargain for the quality of watch you get. Also if you're in the mood for a Dive watch, there's a number of good brands to look at who sell excellent watches at a nice price point. Magrette, Boschette, BombFrog, etc.

I know you don't want to hear this... but you ought to have a look at some of the slightly higher priced watches... in the 1K-1.5K range.. Dievas and Oris in particular...
    Spinning likes this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information