Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mpalmer
  • 1 Post By Time Exposure
  • 1 Post By mpalmer
  • 1 Post By Pallet Spoon
  • 1 Post By duffin123456

Thread: Compare Chronographs: JeanRichard to Hamilton

Compare Chronographs: JeanRichard to Hamilton

As I begin again to collect Swiss automatic chronographs (of the "budget" or "value" range), I find myself wondering about two brands: JeanRichard and Hamilton.
    I began with Hamilton examples that have a Valjoux/ETA 7750 or 7753. It's a durable and reliable movement capable of excellent accuracy. It is an integrated chronograph. And it is built to economy.
    Lately, thanks to a recent sale at a grey market online retailer, I have acquired examples of the JeanRichard Aeroscope chronographs. These have Sellita-base time keepers with a Dubois-Depraz chronograph module riveted to them. It is not an integrated design, but the DD module has a reputation for having a very good build quality. The case of the JR watch is also admired as having a very good build quality and design.
    Aside from the subjective factor of style, how would you compare Hamilton to JeanRichard? Which has the better movement and why is it better? Is the case of one superior to the other? How?
    For the same price, which would you chose (and style must be a factor here)? Does the variety of Hamilton styles trump the singular style of the JR?
    Last edited by Time Exposure; December 24th, 2015 at 18:32.

Re: Compare Chronographs: JeanRichard to Hamilton

Jean Richard watches I have seen often have nicer cases and dial finishing than Hamiltons. Personally, I'd rather have a valjoux 7750 than a modular design. Either would be a very nice watch though. I'd try to see them both in the metal and your choice might be easy.
    Pallet Spoon likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    ...I'd try to see them both in the metal and your choice might be easy.
    My post may be a bit confusing...I already have examples of both Hamilton and JeanRichard. I like both brands.
    I think at the moment the JR chrono priced around a grand are better deals than Hamiltons priced around $800, but with 3 JR's I am quickly maxing out on variety. All the Aeroscope chronos start to look the same since they share one case design. They just mix up dial and strap options, and do partial or full DLC coating on the case/bezel.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that...
    Since we love pictures, here's my 208 Seconds on a bracelet from the grey dial model, while the white dial model sports the black strap from the 208.

mpalmer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Your JR's look nice!
    Time Exposure likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

You'll get more brand recognition with Hamilton, but more exclusivity with JR. I had certain criteria and maxed out at 3 JR's as well ;) . While eyeing a fourth, even at a deep discount, I am having a hard time justifying it. I have never owned more than 2 of anything but the JR's I have now are vastly different and all keepers. I don't want to diminish the value they have to me personally by adding more and making the daily selection of what to wear more arduous than it already is. At that point at least one would spend a lot of time in the watch box.

775x movement is generally more expensive and costly to service compared to sandwich watches (movement with added modules). However, most trained watchmakers can easily work on it. DD module itself is very,very hard and complicated to service so most watchmakers will just replace the module entirely when it breaks (cheaper solution if you have these kind of watches).

Quote Originally Posted by duffin123456 View Post
    ...DD module itself is very,very hard and complicated to service so most watchmakers will just replace the module entirely when it breaks (cheaper solution if you have these kind of watches).
    I had heard that is true for Omega watches. I guess it's true across the board, regardless of the watch maker? And I guess Omega/JR/GP, etc. do no modifications to the DD module since it is seen only by a watchmaker (under the dial)?

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    I had heard that is true for Omega watches. I guess it's true across the board, regardless of the watch maker? And I guess Omega/JR/GP, etc. do no modifications to the DD module since it is seen only by a watchmaker (under the dial)?
    Yea. DD sells their modules to not just swatch companies but other companies too so availability is not an issue. Even some AP still uses DD module, I heard.

Thread Information