This and that in comparison to that and this...
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: This and that in comparison to that and this...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So, this is just an observation, but...

(Please note, that i'm only using Omega AND Rolex as a comparison to describe the situation because it is a very good example).

Been reading alot of Omega vs Rolex and various other comparison articles on the Net, and it has come to my attention that there is a huge proportion of individuals choosing Rolex or another brand over Omega BECAUSE (not entirely the reason, only partially) apparently Omega is more mass produced thus less exclusive. With more and more individuals asking for opinions like, Sub or PO, Pam or Sub, Chrono or no Chrono?

Now it has come to my attention, and i will use Rolex as an example AGAIN, but on the public streets, for every Omega i see, i've already seen 10 - 20 Rolex's, and occasionally Breitlings, Pams etc

So it begs multiple questions in my head, where is all this information about Omega being mass produced and less exclusive coming from?

But more importantly, would you pick/buy a watch or be influenced by a brands status, not necessarily Omega, and if so, why? Do you actually like it?

I've learned since the first day of collecting, 'wear what you like', but have we gotten into a stage where we wear what others like, to impress people we don't like, and to waste money we don't have?

Please don't flame me , but i know that it's inevitable.

Re: This and that in comparison to that and this...

I spend little (read: none) time on the Rolex and Omega forums, but I've never heard of that argument. I'd take a Rolex over an Omega but it would have nothing to do with a perceived 'exclusiveness' or being 'less mass produced'...

There's nothing exclusive about either Rolex or Omega, but brand status is very important for any product, especially luxury items. Manufacturers know it, and spend millions on marketing because it works. In the watch world, none have done it better than Rolex.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not sure what your point is ( or if you're using bad examples)?
    Both of these brands are classic examples of mass produced watches and neither are exclusive. Rolex make a million watches a year.
    Don't get me wrong though, I love both brands, just not for those reasons.

In certain social circle,Omega is seen as Rolex-wannabe,however I find it less common than Rolex..in fact I see more Pams than Omega in my city

As you can see,I've been a Rolex and Panerai guy even before I joined WUS,so I don't care about the negative images of those two brand...

I'd take a Rolex over Omega only because they make smaller watches ---> Air King, old Explorer I etc. I generally dislike watches above 38mm.
    The only exception is my Airman, and possibly an Omega Speedmaster (of which i actually prefer the reduced, automatic version).

I have two Omega watches, therefore they are not exclusive. They are bloody cool, but not exclusive.

Since I almost got myself a sub a few weeks back in lieu of my PO, they are also not that exclusive. The JLC I wanted couldn't be brought into my price range - therefore exclusive.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

You have bad sources. Gather better information before making your mind up.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    There's nothing exclusive about either Rolex or Omega, but brand status is very important for any product, especially luxury items. Manufacturers know it, and spend millions on marketing because it works. In the watch world, none have done it better than Rolex.
    Agreed. I'll also add, buy what you like, and wear what you buy.
    copperjohn likes this.
    It is right that the world should illustrate the full nature of the infinite and not merely the particular ideals of man - Spinoza

It will always be a topic of debate. It is like debating whether BMW is better than Mercedes. For me Omega is my winner of the two. Some may tell me that's because I can't afford a Rolex, but if I really wanted it, I could. I see more Rolex's in a week than I do Omega. I bump into more people wearing a Sub or a GMT than I do wearing a Speedy Pro or a Quartz AT for that matter. That ratio would easily be 20 Subs to 1 Speedy. Rolex's position may well be at the top tier of marketing, product placement and sponsorship, but Omega do a fine job on those areas also. Official Olympic Games timekeeper being one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information