Comparison of Chronograph Movements

Thread: Comparison of Chronograph Movements

Comparison of Chronograph Movements

I am thinking of buying a chronograph. Many people seem to like the Valjoux 7750 movement. I would appreciate any comments you could make about the comparative durability, quality, and reliability of these two movements:

1)ETA (Valjoux) 7750

2)Mechanical Automatic Movement DJR 25
    ETA 2824 Base and Dubois Depraz 2020 Module
    51 Jewels 28800 vph

Thanks very much,
    David

stuffler,mike

Re: Comparison of Chronograph Movements

Can´t judge a DJR 25 but what is most disturbing with these module chronographs is the fact that pushers and crown do have different positions. Whatever is will be I´d go for a real chrono movement, the Dubois Depraz module + ETA 2824-2 isn´t a real chrono. Just my 0,2 cents.

I would avoid eta with dubois depraz chrono module, I would rather go with a lemania 1873, lemania 5100 or lemania 1340. It is not that many people seem to like that movement but it is the cheapest and the most built chrono movement. It is a good movement but very far in terms of quality, accuracy and reliability as compared to the lemania movements I posted above.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well the 7750 is certainly a good workhorse movement that has withstood the test of time just fine. There are numerous watches from the 1970s with this movement (the 17 jewel type) that are still ticking today. As for the ETA, I actually like this movement; it is basically a column wheel chronograph albiet a modular one; take a look at this article:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/16962...dem+warning%29

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas P.
    Well the 7750 is certainly a good workhorse movement that has withstood the test of time just fine. There are numerous watches from the 1970s with this movement (the 17 jewel type) that are still ticking today. As for the ETA, I actually like this movement; it is basically a column wheel chronograph albiet a modular one; take a look at this article:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/16962...dem+warning%29
    The first chronograph movement to use this sort of "two dimensional column wheel" was probably the TDBK calibre from the early seventies - the one with the totalizers in the odd positions (11:00, 2:00 and 6:00 with a date frequently at 9:00). This was developed and produced by a combination of Tenor-Dorley Brac on the one hand and Kelek on the other. It combined the best of both the traditional column wheel and the lever chronograph: easy to manufacture (lever) but leaves out a lot of the nasty little hidden springs in the chrono mechanism, which the Valjoux 7750 is feared for, to make it more service friendly (column wheel). This movement was the first automatic chrono with that feature and I am not aware of any previous manual ones with that sort of mechanism. I am surprised that noone else has got round to using it - at least I am not aware of any other examples apart from TDBK and ETA 2894.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information