Compass/temperature watch recommendations?

Thread: Compass/temperature watch recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Compass/temperature watch recommendations?

My father-in-law is very much into hunting and fishing. As the son-in-law that likes neither, I thought I'd try to bridge our difference by finding him a watch with compass and temperature features and some measure of water resistance. What would you recommend?

Re: Compass/temperature watch recommendations?

Casio makes some really good temperature watches, the only problem is they tend to pick up on body temp when you wear them and usually read 15 or so degrees warmer than what it actually is. I have found that if you take the watch off of your wrist for 10 minutes or so, they tend to give a pretty accurate temp reading. Casio also makes a moon phase hunting watch (#PAS410B) that tells sunrise/sunset times.

For some reason, I have always thought that a temperature display on a watch was cool, maybe someone else can chime in and give some better ideas...

Take a look at the Suunto line. They make great watches that feature compass, temperature, altimiter, barometer and many other features. Check out the Vector and Core models. I personnaly have a Core and a Casio Pro-Trek, and the Core is a highly accurate and functional outdoor watch.

Don
    Respectfully,
    Don

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

And if you want to take the Swiss way, you should consider the Tissot T-touch line. Meteorological tendences, Altimeter, Chronograph, Compass, Alarm, Thermometer. Had mine now for approx 5 years, works great!

Both would fit the bill, as Don said:

I've had this Casio Tough Solar Protrek for a while and it certainly does the job. It has a Compass, Barometer, Altimeter, etc. etc. and the temperature feature is good, providing, as has been said, you take it off to give it time to equate to the local temperature.

Oh, and it tells the time too !

"The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

Atmospheric pressure is a great function for outdoors, you can see the weather front come through, cool to use in the car and on hikes for altitude too. I'd make sure the watch has it, he'll really use it.

Suunto Vector. The thing is quite accurate. Checked the compass against a high-grade sailing nav system nearly continuously on a sail last summer--it was never off by more than a couple of degreees.
    The temperature WILL be affected by your body if you wear it against the skin. Fortunately, the strap is designed long enough to wear over clothing. Haven't tried it, but it should work pretty well (in theory).
    Deac
    Favourites: SeaGull 1963, CWC G10/98 British Army (issued) c. 1976, Omega Seamaster cal. 562 (1966), Seiko Orange Monster, Citizen Aqualand 20th Anniv., Smith's Astral, Rolex 1603 (1966), Glycine Combat 7 3898, Casio Pathfinder PAG80, Beuchat Access 550M, ORSA Sea Angler Lithium, Limes World Heritage, Omega f300 Chronometer (c. 1974), Rolex 6426 (1967), Komandirskie K-34 automatic, Suunto Vector, Citizen Ecozilla, Rado Purple Horse
    DEAC

Last edited by norrismantooth; February 1st, 2014 at 19:40. Reason: deleted, to add comment.

Quote Originally Posted by jcg344 View Post
    Casio makes some really good temperature watches, the only problem is they tend to pick up on body temp when you wear them and usually read 15 or so degrees warmer than what it actually is. ...
    The Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor Watches have a very sensitive, accurate sensor that, with calibration, works perfectly. You can calibrate the temperature sensor to adjust for body heat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information