Complete Noob. Help?

Thread: Complete Noob. Help?

Complete Noob. Help?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to watches. I'm 20 years old and I haven't owned a watch since my childhood Scooby-doo watch. That being said I have recently got really interested, more like obsessed, with watches. The way the look, especially the simple ones, the gears, the tik and the tok. To get to the meat of my post. I'm looking to make a watch. I.E buy the movement, the case, the strap, and the buckle and throw it together. As I think assembling the entire movement is a bit far as of right now.

I'm hoping someone can point me towards a good way to buy these. As well as a good source of like names of watch parts. etc..

Thanks in advance.

P.s.

This is the style im looking for. ( Note the brass case. This is a must. )

Name:  MARANEZ_LAYAN_GRID_hd.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  63.6 KB

Re: Complete Noob. Help?

Quite the ambitious goal! I'm in the same boat me-self. New to this all and looking for some good pointers, I'm just learning slowly though about what to look for in a good watch.. nothing close to building one :)

I've always been the type to dive straight in, shoot first ask questions later. I prefer doing things that way. For example, I am a gamer. I was looking into buying a gaming computer, when I decided to build my own, after a single conversation. Ordered my parts that week and built it with no problems. Its just how I do things haha.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The answer to this IMO is TimeZone Watch School Home This approach teaches you from the ground up and is quite good and has excellent support.

I suggest that your first watch be based on a larger movement such as a 6497. A brass or bronze case can probably be sourced for this without TOO much issue, maybe looking for raw Panerai homage cases.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    The answer to this IMO is TimeZone Watch School Home This approach teaches you from the ground up and is quite good and has excellent support.

I suggest that your first watch be based on a larger movement such as a 6497. A brass or bronze case can probably be sourced for this without TOO much issue, maybe looking for raw Panerai homage cases.
    Indeed. They recommend materials from Otto Frei Call 1-510-832-0355 For Watch Parts. Whilst you don't need to know the innermost workings of the going train etc (which the course teaches you), it isn't quite as simple as casing a 6497 with a dial, hands etc - the hand stems have to be the right height, the torque has to match etc. You can get advice on the watchmaking forum Watchmaking for what's compatible once you've chosen some parts, but it might be easier to contact someone like Kemmner, tell him what you want and he'll build it.

First, you might want to order some watch making tools. Available on ebay. Then you could head down to your local watch repair person, she might have a few boxes of (partly disassembled) older automatic watches. Buy a hand full and start practicing. Or order a convolute of old watches on ebay.

Thread Information