confusion reigns

Thread: confusion reigns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

confusion reigns

I am a sedentary septuagenarian and I'm confused. I have a new watch -- an Alpha with an unknown (by me) self-winding mechanical movement. It does hack. I set it with the Colorado cesium clock at 17:58 Saturday. It was spot on at that time. Sunday at the same time the watch had lost 3 seconds. When I checked it today I expected it to be 6 or 7 seconds slow. Not so. It was 3 seconds ahead of the Colorado clock. It had gained 6 seconds in 24 hours. Anyone know why? As I said, I am sedentary; I did not play basketball or pitch a game during that time. Heck, I did'nt pitch anything else!

Thanks

Is it possible that one of the rubber bands in the movement broke?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: confusion reigns

Watches, especially those at the lower price range, have very poor positional variation.

This means the daily rate varies considerably between dial up, crown down and other positions. If you aren't very active, you probably have had the watch in one position longer than than another position and the observed rate has changed.

Thanks, Lysander. I thought that must have something to do with it. Now I'll start checking closer. Maybe take the watch off at night to start out with. (Lysander? That was the name of a British "aeroplane" manufacturing firm before WWII, wasn't it?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If it stays that close it's still quite good.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by cholly howl View Post
    Thanks, Lysander. I thought that must have something to do with it. Now I'll start checking closer. Maybe take the watch off at night to start out with. (Lysander? That was the name of a British "aeroplane" manufacturing firm before WWII, wasn't it?)
    I'm not sure of the derivation of lysanderxiii's WUS ID but Lysander loved Hermia in Shakespeare's "Midsummer Nights Dream".
    Current favorites:
    Squale Y1545 20 ATMOS Militaire (Original) Ser. No. 0001; Sturmanskie Open Space 24Hr Ser. No. 199/250; Glycine Airman 17; Seiko Prospex PADI SRPA21;
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20; Bathys Black Aquaculture; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS; + about 25 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

There is no problem with your watch, relax. Those are pretty good rates you're getting with that watch. COSC specs are -4 to +6 seconds/day and that's for the watches that can cost thousands of dollars. The only way to have better performance is to go quartz....
    Rolex GMT II,----gone!!!
    RGM 150 Grande Pilot
    Omega SMP (Bond),
    Ball Hydrocarbon GMT II
    Glycine KMU48/LE
    Movado Kingmatic 7750
    Hamilton X-wind
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono,
    Japy T08 Side Command Chrono,
    Japy T32 Diver,
    Japy Aquatic alarm,
    Tissot T-touch,
    several Citizen Eco-Drive's
    Traser Diver 6500
    Seiko Alpinist
    Seiko Spirit
    Seiko SRH006P1
    Accutron VX-200
    Accutron Breckenridge
    Aristo Drakar 2005
    Benarus Barracuda
    Zodiac Renegade
    7 G-shocks
    A couple of Russians
    few others....

Thanks, Trendydandy. I'm happy. Since the last check, at 17:58 Monday, the watch has neither gained nor lost a second. Go figure!

cholly howl

Quote Originally Posted by cholly howl View Post
    Thanks, Trendydandy. I'm happy. Since the last check, at 17:58 Monday, the watch has neither gained nor lost a second. Go figure!

cholly howl

Enjoy your new watch !!! If you hang around here much longer, I see many more in your future...
    Last edited by Trendydandy; November 11th, 2008 at 20:46.
    Rolex GMT II,----gone!!!
    RGM 150 Grande Pilot
    Omega SMP (Bond),
    Ball Hydrocarbon GMT II
    Glycine KMU48/LE
    Movado Kingmatic 7750
    Hamilton X-wind
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono,
    Japy T08 Side Command Chrono,
    Japy T32 Diver,
    Japy Aquatic alarm,
    Tissot T-touch,
    several Citizen Eco-Drive's
    Traser Diver 6500
    Seiko Alpinist
    Seiko Spirit
    Seiko SRH006P1
    Accutron VX-200
    Accutron Breckenridge
    Aristo Drakar 2005
    Benarus Barracuda
    Zodiac Renegade
    7 G-shocks
    A couple of Russians
    few others....

Cholly,

The Westland Lysander was a high wing monoplane with excellent short field capability, used by the RAF in WWII, notably to insert and extract SOE operatives into occupied France.
    When, in a film, you see the resistance laying out a line of torches in a dark field, the plane that lands should be a Lysander.
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

Your Alpha is not a waveceptor watch it is a mechanical automatic.Six seconds gain in 24 hours is acceptable and actually not bad.If you want a watch that is absolutely spot on, Get a casio waveceptor.Enjoy your Alpha for what it is a mechanical automatic. It needs you to get out and move so that it can keep time.Think of it as a symbiotic relationship it makes you get out and get some physical activity in return it's second hand sweeps smoothly around the dial and it tells you what time it is whenever you gaze at it's face hopefully in an appreciative manner.It needs you .That is part of it's charm.It has a little "beating heart" that uses your movement to energize it.A waveceptor does not need you .It only requires your input every 2 years or so to buy it a new battery.
    Last edited by James Haury; November 11th, 2008 at 22:30.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information