Is this considered a dress watch?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is this considered a dress watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is this considered a dress watch?

Hi everyone,

I am very new to watches. What's the definition of a dress watch? Is this a dress watch? Thanks.

Marine automatic, sterlingsilver dial and date, matt case - STOWA GmbH & Co.KG

Banned

Re: Is this considered a dress watch?

Not uber-dressy, but you could wear the black strapped version to any formal occasion IMO. For me (don't know if it's just me) totally, pure dress watches have hour markers or maybe roman numerals, but I think if anyone faulted you for wearing such a respectable watch with a suit, you'd be better off giving them a wide berth anyway.

I'd say that's definitely a clean and modern dress watch.
    Last edited by keila; February 12th, 2012 at 11:42.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some have a more strict definition of a dress watch than others, and would say it's not a dress watch because of its size, Arabic numerals, and because it has a date function. I think it's a very classy looking watch and would be happy to wear it as a dress watch, if only my wrist was a tad bigger.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

A lot of people would say it is a dress watch, other would classify this Stowa as being classic. I think it is what it says: A Marine watch inspired by predecessors ages ago.
    I am wearing all my Stowa watches with suits.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; February 12th, 2012 at 19:03.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Wouldn't call it a dress watch, but in the continuum from casual to dressy, it falls somewhere in the middle. Could you wear it during the day with a sport coat or a suit? Sure. Would you wear it out for the evening with a dark suit or a tux? I'd reach for something else. But it's a classic, and a very nice looking watch.

I just bought something very similar, but with small seconds. I really like it a lot. (So, if the subtext of your question is: Should I buy it? I'd say it'd be a great piece to have.)
    Last edited by dbakiva; February 12th, 2012 at 16:48. Reason: slight shift of opinion

I myself wouldn't consider it a dress watch simply because of the bright white dial. My understanding of a dress watch is that it shouldn't really stand out from the suit or tux you'd be wearing.

Not dressy in the sense of s watch to be worn with a tux or really nice suit and tie. Certainly appropriate for more casual dress though.

I vote not dressy. I think it's the arabics. But you could pull it off if you really wanted to.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

I own one and consider it on the dressier end of casual watches. It's large and the white face makes it seem larger so it does attract some wrist attention, which is not what a dress watch should do. I often wear it out with dark jeans and a blazer and it seems to be at home there but I wouldn't pair it with a full suit. Get the Antea for that.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information