Considering a BIG Consolidation... Help!
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Considering a BIG Consolidation... Help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Considering a BIG Consolidation... Help!

Hello all, hoping you guys might give me some advice here. I know anytime the question of 'should I buy?' is posed around here, the answer seems to be a resounding 'yes!' However, I'm in a position at the moment where the discretionary watch fund is earmarked for a particular purchase - a 116500 white dialed Daytona, hopefully in the next month or so - and so I don't want to outright buy the next in line, but sell off a large portion of the collection to consolidate on higher end pieces.

Current collection is as follows:

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Jumbo Jubilee 14802
    Rolex Cellini Prince YG
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer MK2 214270
    Seiko SLA017 62MAS Reissue
    --------
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Ultra-Thin Duo Bleu (Boutique)
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Geophysic 1958
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150
    Omega Speedmaster CK2998

Basically, I'm thinking I'm going to keep the AP, the Seiko, and the Rolex pieces (Sub, Exp, Prince) and sell off the rest - Breitling, both JLCs, the VC, and the Omega. If I do that, combined with a bit of cash, I can move into two preowned grails - the FP Journe Chrono Bleu and the Vacheron Historiques 1921.

After the Daytona gets thrown into the mix, that would leave me with 8 great pieces, and a few years away from the end goal - which is outlined below:

APRO - Journe CB - VC 1921 - Patek 5164
    Sub - Explorer - Prince - Daytona

Would give me a Rolex for every situation and then my favorite from each Holy Trinity brand and Journe (the Holy Quad?!). IMO, that would be a balanced and perfect collection, and consolidating in the manner originally outlined would leave me with everything I want. I'd just move out the Seiko SLA017 once I had another 35K saved up for the Patek (a few years from now). Basically, this would get me 7/8 of the way there.

To satisfy my watch related OCD, it would also leave me with a piece in yellow gold and a piece in rose, and a perfectly varied color breakdown in dials: two black, two blue, two white, one gold, one grey. I also feel like having the Overseas and the 1921 is unnecessary. I'd ideally like to stick to one each from the high end manufacturers for fear that I'd eventually want to match the two VCs with a second AP, second Journe, etc.

It is indeed a sickness. Sorry for the long read, but any advice on the plan would be greatly appreciated!
    Paulo 8135, TheOak182 and Perseus like this.
    “How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn.”

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Re: Considering a BIG Consolidation... Help!

I can’t find any flaw in your plan. Seems to me you’re covered both ‘logically’ and ‘emotionally’, if that makes sense. And that will be a very stellar collection.
    bradfordcharles likes this.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

Read your post a couple of times and I can’t fault your plan either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I mean, it's a series of watches. There's a watch for every wrist, so how could you go wrong. If I was to offer advice as to what I'd get rid of, I would base it on the pieces in your current collection that I don't care for. But that doesn't mean they're bad watches. You have some real beauties and others that would not be on my personal list. The only thing I would personally swap out is that I'd keep your speedmaster and get rid of the cellini.
    Have: DOXA SUB1200t, Omega SMPq, Oris Diver Small Second Hand, Rolex Explorer II (w), Seiko Prospex SUN023, Tag Heuer Monza, Victorinox DM500q
    Want: Something dressy

Lets see

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Jumbo Jubilee 14802 (Lets leave this one alone)
    Rolex Cellini Prince YG (Unless you really wear this frequently, this seems like a good candidate to move, but looks like you want a gold watch in the collection, so I guess it stays)
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (Lets keep this one as well)
    Rolex Explorer MK2 214270 (This can go IMO)
    Seiko SLA017 62MAS Reissue (Keep this)
    --------
    Breitling SuperOcean (Dont know which series but 1-2k on this one I guess depending on age)
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Ultra-Thin Duo Bleu (Boutique) (I'd keep this for sure, its an amazing watch, why would you sell this?)
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Geophysic 1958 (This can go, should fetch 5k+)
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150 (You probbaly just got this recently, why sell it already? you will take a huge hit)
    Omega Speedmaster CK2998 ( Sell this one as well, should be easy)

FPJ CB is a great pick, not sure about the 1921 VC but if you like it who am I to ask. The part I dont get is why did you get the VC chrono if you had the 1921 as a grail? I for one would keep the VC chrono, sell the rest as outlined above and get a new FPJ CB.

Move towards the other pieces using the Overseas at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
    Lets see
    The part I dont get is why did you get the VC chrono if you had the 1921 as a grail? I for one would keep the VC chrono, sell the rest as outlined above and get a new FPJ CB.

Move towards the other pieces using the Overseas at a later time.
    I got the Overseas about 6 months ago, but picked it up for a good deal and will actually make money on the sale. The 1921 has been the grail VC for a long time, so that's an easy trade off for me. I feel like I only need one chrono, and I'm happy with that being a Daytona 116500. The one I am hesitating on is the Reverso, and you correctly outlined. Being a boutique piece and very limited, it's going to be tough to part with, but I feel like the Journe will more than make up for it.
    “How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn.”

Quote Originally Posted by bradfordcharles View Post
    I got the Overseas about 6 months ago, but picked it up for a good deal and will actually make money on the sale. The 1921 has been the grail VC for a long time, so that's an easy trade off for me. I feel like I only need one chrono, and I'm happy with that being a Daytona 116500. The one I am hesitating on is the Reverso, and you correctly outlined. Being a boutique piece and very limited, it's going to be tough to part with, but I feel like the Journe will more than make up for it.
    Your reasoning sounds logical, I guess your overall plan makes sense after all. Good luck

Hard to fault the plan; it's such a personal call. But to me, the "trinity" has to be expanded to include A. Lange & Sohne. If you want something in the collection that's exceptionally finished, you might consider them (though I would concede that FP Journe comes close in this regard).

I’d swap the Ceilini for the Reverso but the rest sounds good.

I don't see a present of collection of 10 nice watches compared to a goal of 8 and then 9 "great" watches much of a consolidation at all, and certainly not on the "big" or grand scale. Based on your current collection, your analysis of your "needs" and your desired collection, it sounds like just another step in a long series of steps, with likely many more to follow if you continue with your present mindset. Since you asked for our advice, and since not everyone here is dumbstruck with the "must buy another" mindset, my own advice would be to get rid of ALL but two or three, sell the rest, switch off the computer and get on with your life--you don't really need a Rolex for every occasion, with gravy on top.
    NyCSnEaK likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information