Considering a Breguet Marine 5817
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vkalia

Thread: Considering a Breguet Marine 5817

Considering a Breguet Marine 5817

I have been contemplating my next purchase, which i want to be a higher-end watch than in my stable. Was thinking about a Zenith El Primero, a JLC Master Compressor or a Ulysse Nardin - and actually, had put this Breguet on my list after seeing some photos in a WUS thread.

As serendipity would have, i have the chance to get used Breguet Marine 5817 at a very good price, which kinda makes it jump to the top of the line.

Is there something i need to be worried about in terms of reliability? And for those who have it - how well does it play with smart-causal? Linen shorts/trousers, designer jeans, rolled up sleeves & untucked shirts, and nice polos?

TIA!
    Last edited by vkalia; January 26th, 2015 at 13:37.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Re: Considering a Breguet Marine 5817

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    I have been contemplating my next purchase, which i want to be a higher-end watch than in my stable. Was thinking about a Zenith El Primero, a JLC Master Compressor or a Ulysse Nardin - and actually, had put this Breguet on my list after seeing some photos in a WUS thread.

As serendipity would have, i have the chance to get used Breguet Marine 5817 at a very good price, which kinda makes it jump to the top of the line.

Is there something i need to be worried about in terms of reliability? And for those who have it - how well does it play with smart-causal? Linen shorts/trousers, designer jeans, rolled up sleeves & untucked shirts, and nice polos?

TIA!
    Not sure if you already made up your mind about your purchase, but I owned this watch for a little bit over a year or so before I traded it. This Breguet is very versatile and goes well with just about any outfit. In the second hand market, this watch is a good buy and a good entry into the Breguet brand. The only cons is the shiny bezel and lugs do scratch easily. On the side note, I believe this is just an isolated incidence. New out of box, I was able to wear it for half a day, and it would stay wound for at least 50 hours. The winding efficiency declined after about a year of usage, I would need to manually wind my watch after a full day wear to prevent from losing too much time or complete stoppage during bed time. But this wasn't something that the repair center wouldn't be able to resolve. Overall a great everyday watch. You get a nicely hand-guilloched dial, nicely polished bezel and lugs and nicely finished movement with beautiful rotor and beveling on all edges. The movement finish is a step up from the JLC master compressor and a couple steps above the UN Maxi Marine. Hope that helps.

What is left from Breguet is its glorious name. Still they are making some beautiful watches. But this...
    Small case, giant lugs. Questionable reliability. Takes deep dive on secondary market. And all this package: Classic dial with sporty pretensions and rubber strap? Not in my book.

I'd propose you to go with Zenith El Primero but I'm heavily biased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for that, guys. I was looking to buy used, so that depreciation was working in my benefit. However, as it turns out, I decided to skip on the purchase. I went and checked out the watch at an AD and really liked it, but it ended up being a little too ornate to be a sports watch. Did get the Zenith since then, however :)
    Alex_TA likes this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
    What is left from Breguet is its glorious name.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure if I can agree with that statement. By looking at what the brand presented to collectors at this year's Basel, namely the two tradition models 7077 independent chronographe featuring two separate escapements and 7087 tourbillon minute repeaters featuring vertical sound strikers are innovative masterpieces. Since 2012, the brand has managed to come out with pieces with innovative movements year after year. Sure, the brand as a whole doesn't have great resale value compared to say Patek, but that may change in the future if they strive to produce masterpieces like they have been for years. I love Breguet not because of its namesake but the fact they have not failed to impress collectors like myself for quite awhile now.

Cheers,

Thread Information