Considering Omega, Anonimo, Glycine

Thread: Considering Omega, Anonimo, Glycine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering Omega, Anonimo, Glycine

Hi all,

greetings from Singapore!

newbie here, getting more and more fascinated in the world of horology.

i've been wearing Swatches and G-Shocks most of my life, and i was never into them. To me, a watch is just a time-telling device and i could not imagine paying thousands of dollars just for a watch then.

it was until i saw a business associate wearing a nice big watch and i thought it looked pretty good. i asked to have a closer look and he gladly offered it to me. I held it and thought, wow this is heavy and big. Brand? "Officine Panerai Luminor Marina". It was a manual winding watch with a clear glassback.

I thought to myself, not bad! big and classy, but i've never heard of the brand before. Moreover it came with a rubber strap, can't cost that much right? So i casually asked about the price, and boy was i shocked to learn that it cost him about S$6k back in 2005, and it should be about S$8k now.

Panerai was my "first love" from then onwards, but somehow i couldn't justify nor afford that kind of price for a watch.

Slowly i got myself more involved and started reading up more, and got more and more "poisoned"

I currently own a russian watch http://www.poljotwatch.com/page/PW/P.../3603-1225801B and i must say the experience has been great.

I am now ready to look into owning a higher end watch, and i have shortlisted 3 brands:
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Big Size, ref 2908.50.82
    http://www.omegawatches.com/index.ph...ase=3&iddial=4

Glycine Lagunare Certified Chronometer 3000, ref 3875
    http://www.glycine-watches.com/e/col...Display=10002S

Anonimo Professionale Model 6000 Black face
    http://www.anonimo.com/models/professionale.html

Would like to seek your comments on the above. Both Omega and Glycine are COSC certified chronometers, while the Anonimo is not (i think). Does being COSC certified mean alot? Omega has its inhouse (although ETA based) movement which is a plus point, Glycine and Anonimo are limited editions which add to the snob appeal. Each has its own merits and i can't decide.

If you were me, which will you choose and why? Appreciate all comments. thanks in advance!
    Last edited by theoldjaffa; May 2nd, 2008 at 09:12.
    The [email protected], Singapore Forum

Aviator 43mm IL-2 Shturmovik (Flying Tank) #417/999

Re: Considering Omega, Anonimo, Glycine

Well to me it is a no brainer go for the Omega, but be aware that the Planet Ocean costs i think about 500-1000 dollars more than the standard seamaster. Also i would personally look into the company Oris...Especially the Carlos Coste Limited editions both the chronograph and the standard. Actually any Oris is amazing and in my opinion a little better bang for the buck especially if you are comparing the Carlos Coste to the Planet Ocean.

COSC while to many die-hard watch collecters is a nice thing to have. It just means that it went through a 1 month boot camp to test its accuraccy. When your in the price range of those watches it is important.

I hope that helped

Cameron

Hi,
    i'm also from Singapore, to me, i prefer anonimo.
    I really this brand, be it the design and spec. Anonimo alway have this unique locking system.
    Currently i also just own my very 1st anonimo dual time, i loved it from the very 1st time i saw it. I believe you wouldnt regret buying Professionale, i love the design as it come with a big crown, thick dial and if can, change to a steel instead of strip, you will like it. Did you check out the price for this model over in our country? This model will be my next goal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jaffa - You have too ask yourself what are the most important qualities a watch must have for me to buy it..
    Movt,size,rarity over all appeal etc etc..
    Sometimes when your heart is set on something, its difficult to change your mind!
    Last edited by Patstarrx; May 2nd, 2008 at 17:57. Reason: spelling

Three excellent watches, all with quality, style and individuality.
    However:
    Omegas are like Porche cars. Not uncommon, which is great if you want to see another Omega owner/Porche driver and feel part of the club.
    I must admit to knowing little about the Glycine apart from what I have read on the web. From the pics and at first glance it looks like lots of other divers
    The Anonimo looks like nothing else. It is also limited edition so the chances of meeting another wearer are remote to say the least. You will probably never even meet another Anonimo wearer except on this forum.

The important thing is to try them all on - do not be swayed by us lot.

Then buy the Anonimo

quality and reputation= i'd give the edge to omega... esp because of the coax based 2892 movement and brand recognition

originality ( from a WIS perspective ) =anonimo

if you favor a bad-ass cool appearance= definitely glycine

since it's your first higher end watch, as you say, and i think they all look good, i'd go with the omega. good luck....

I'd start with Omega, and build from there. It's a classic already, and one you'll always have as a "go to" for the rest of your life.

I prefer a brand also posted here called Oris. Sensational value, good heritage, completely unique design, and a perfect blend of sporty elegance. Clean designs, that are unlike anything in whatever catagory you desire. Especially the TT1 divers. Here are some of mine. Enjoy and post often!

compared to Pam:

heres mine. cosc= important on those pieces. also nice to know the quality of the movement. your 3rd pick is the anonimo. I've owned some. nice watches. I did notice there site says it has a eta 2824-2 in it. thats plain wrong and they should update the site. it uses a selitta sw200. not something I'm going to buy for that price with that movement. also it should be bought on bracelet. changing straps on it sucks and damage to the case is going to happen. the omega planet ocean chronograh has movement issues according to owners in the omega forum so post a question about it there. the glycine on the other hand is new and there watches have always been soliid performers.

i think you're right on the PO chrono...there have been some issues according to a few members. But, the OP inquired about the PO non chrono if I'm not mistaken. that movement ( coax based on the 2892) is great.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    heres mine. cosc= important on those pieces. also nice to know the quality of the movement. your 3rd pick is the anonimo. I've owned some. nice watches. I did notice there site says it has a eta 2824-2 in it. thats plain wrong and they should update the site. it uses a selitta sw200. not something I'm going to buy for that price with that movement. also it should be bought on bracelet. changing straps on it sucks and damage to the case is going to happen. the omega planet ocean chronograh has movement issues according to owners in the omega forum so post a question about it there. the glycine on the other hand is new and there watches have always been soliid performers.

All three are fine watches. Get the one that you like best.

Personally, I like the Glycine the best of the three. The Anonimo's don't really speak to me, although I do like the ones that have the crown at 6 or 12 o'clock - that seems like a very clever way of locking the crown. The PO also doesn't do it for me - I prefer the classic Seamaster or Speedmaster - although I'll never get one as they're just too small for me unfortunately.

I do like that Lagunare, although I like some of the others better. I probably would choose number 3819 over the one you picked if I wanted a similar dial, if only because I certainly would never need two helium release values.

If it matters to you, you'll see more Omegas than the other two brands combined. I'm sure you'll run into people wearing the exact same Planet Ocean. You may notice a few Glycines, although it's unlikely that you run across someone wearing that exact model. I don't think I've ever seen someone with an Anonimo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information