Considering thinning out the herd.
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Considering thinning out the herd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering thinning out the herd.

This may be a bit of a knee jerk reaction to just paying £400 for a service on my B'ling Avenger Skyland, but I am seriously considering trying to sell of the majority of my watches.

Big question - which one could/would/should be the one?

And yes, I appreciate totally personal, I just feel like moaning about upcoming service bills lol.

Has anyone unloaded a lot of watches and then gone on to live a full and meaningful life lol.

Regards,

Tony
    Heljestrand and Ard like this.
    "Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment, because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived it.

Watches - "Far too many!!" - Mrs. S.

Banned

Re: Considering thinning out the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
    ...I am seriously considering trying to sell of the majority of my watches...which one could/would/should be the one?...Has anyone unloaded a lot of watches and then gone on to live a full and meaningful life...
    I did that a while back. It is cathartic! I highly recommend it. I realized that I wasn't really enjoying my watches because many of them were worn infrequently. Deciding on one main watch was easy (more on that later). Truth be told I didn't sell them all. I kept a diver for beach days and the hot summer months, and I kept a field watch for times when I don't want to wear a high end watch. When it came time to decide on "the one", the watch that would be my every day watch, the choice was obvious, my Speedmaster. All three are mechanical so I still have three service bills to rotate, but the Speedy is the only one that costs above a couple of hundred to service. Now my Speedy is on my wrist 90% of the time and I couldn't be happier. Even my son identifies the Speedmaster as "Dad's watch", which is cool because one day he will inherit it and this connection makes me smile. I recently became active here on WUS to quench the watch itch by reading about them, but I have no urge to dive back in and purchase more.

Sold off half of mine this year to fund the purchase of a Panerai 671, but when I failed to secure one I have now bought another 6 as commiseration prizes.

There is no end to this problem.............
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response. It's interesting that the Speedy is leading the way as being my potential 'one and only' - just seems so classic and classy.
    "Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment, because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived it.

Watches - "Far too many!!" - Mrs. S.

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

I think a lot of us have been where you are.

And I go back and forth myself, too. From content to on the hunt, it never ends; Kaizen!
    omeglycine likes this.

Is that like the Kamikaze for watch nuts??

Where you just walk into the local Rolex AD with your credit card and say I'll have the lot!!
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

I am doing that as we speak, I literally had watches that I never wear. The last one is in the sales forum now. Whenever it goes I'll then know what it's like to be down to 3. I think it will be liberating, I think.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Heljestrand and Ard like this.

I've reduced to just a few over the last few months and that has forced me to make some tough decisions. However, I have yet to find "the one" and am not sure one could ever do it for me.

Consolidate and upgrade, I say!
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Used to always have 10 or 12 in my "rotation" (Anonimo, Ball, IWC, Omega, Rolex, Panerai and a host of others), but realized one day just how truly stupid it was to have so many, after all, they are just watches, and have sold off most (down to four, but leaning towards three), without even a slight wish for another, and feel a LOT better for it--the ones I kept would shock many here--not the most expensive, not the most well known, not the most coveted--just a few pieces that look great and keep good time--truly, what else does one really need?
    Ard likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information