Contender for the most ridiculously priced watch(es) on Ebay right now?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Contender for the most ridiculously priced watch(es) on Ebay right now?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Contender for the most ridiculously priced watch(es) on Ebay right now?

Came across these whilst browsing pilot watches and parts (bored, I blame myself...for being on Ebay at all, ugh)

I've never heard of this company, but SS cases, ETA movements... no heritage, in-house movement or veritable claim to fame I know of.

Am I missing something? Can anyone enlighten me or explain this?

Are there any other contenders for most over-priced watch out there?

Tourby Big Pilot for US Strike Fighters Weapons School Pacific Limited Edition | eBay

Tourby Around The World Complete Set Swiss Made ETA Unitas 6498 2 Hand Painted | eBay
    One watch, two watch, three watch, divorce.

Re: Contender for the most ridiculously priced watch(es) on Ebay right now?

You haven't heard or Tourby? Not sure why these are priced so high though, they're some of the best value watches out there.

I've heard of them from this forum and they do interesting pieces with old hamilton movements but pricing for those 2 pieces are definately abnormal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ace McLoud View Post
    You haven't heard or Tourby? Not sure why these are priced so high though, they're some of the best value watches out there.
    Maybe previously could have been thought of as being "best value"

LOL OP funny stuff, those watches would cost under 1k to make, probably under 500 bucks, ridiculous price, oh well theres a sucker born every minute.
    I think most high end watches are over priced.

If you read the full ebay advertisement, it's not for a regular production Tourby, but a prototype:

"Up for sale is the Prototype of the US Navy School watch. The serial watches are only made for the US Navy School (Leemore, California) and all of them have a customized (top secret) serial number hand engraved on the side of the watch case. The Prototype watch was made blank (without numbers) for testing and controls only. The Protoype watch has no flaws or dings. It is only used for testing and controls (tested for time keeping, water resistance, vaccum test, pressure test, low pressure test, anti-magnetic, temperature test, shock-proof etc, scratch-proof etc.). The prototype watch completed all tests successfully and was even better than expected."

So accepted on face value one would assume the watch for sale is a one of a kind.

Now whether a prototype watch from a fairly obscure (or atleast it's obscure to me) brand is worth $100,000 is how shall I say, in the eye of the beholder?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    I think most high end watches are over priced.
    You guys will probably think I'm trolling, but I'm not, honest to God. I was looking at this picture the other day:

... and with the white second hand sticking out like a sore thumb, the dorky other two hands, the ill-fitting date, the cramped dial, and the very unremarkable rubber band, I thought to myself, are people really paying that sort of money for this? And would they if they didn't think they had to?

I know this has been discussed over and over, but this is the first time I found a watch to really encompass what to me was only a general belief before. For the record, I actually like the Aquanaut and I'd wear one, but only if it cost a couple of thousand, and if it were a quartz, but that's a different story ... except it isn't, because to me, it looks like a quartz (which is a good thing for me, but I'm surprised it is for the target audience as well).
    Last edited by veracruz; June 25th, 2014 at 12:40.
    Hayseed Brown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veracruz View Post
    You guys will probably think I'm trolling, but I'm not, honest to God. I was looking at this picture the other day:

... and with the white second hand sticking out like a sore thumb, the dorky other two hands, the ill-fitting date, the cramped dial, and the very unremarkable rubber band, I thought to myself, are people really paying that sort of money for this? And would they if they didn't think they had to?

I know this has been discussed over and over, but this is the first time I found a watch to really encompass what to me was only a general belief before. For the record, I actually like the Aquanaut and I'd wear one, but only if it cost a couple of thousand, and if it were a quartz, but that's a different story ... except it isn't, because to me, it looks like a quartz (which is a good thing for me, but I'm surprised it is for the target audience as well).
    Georgie Soros may disagree with you. Though money does not necessarily equate to style or taste.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchObsessed View Post
    If you read the full ebay advertisement, it's not for a regular production Tourby, but a prototype:

"Up for sale is the Prototype of the US Navy School watch. The serial watches are only made for the US Navy School (Leemore, California) and all of them have a customized (top secret) serial number hand engraved on the side of the watch case. The Prototype watch was made blank (without numbers) for testing and controls only. The Protoype watch has no flaws or dings. It is only used for testing and controls (tested for time keeping, water resistance, vaccum test, pressure test, low pressure test, anti-magnetic, temperature test, shock-proof etc, scratch-proof etc.). The prototype watch completed all tests successfully and was even better than expected."

So accepted on face value one would assume the watch for sale is a one of a kind.

Now whether a prototype watch from a fairly obscure (or atleast it's obscure to me) brand is worth $100,000 is how shall I say, in the eye of the beholder?
    100%!

BTW if anyone's interested, I have a bridge for sale. I give good price.
    Hatman14 likes this.

What Tourby doesn't seem to realize is that they aren't a collectable brand and that they're embaracing themselves with this pricing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information