In a Conundrum..
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: In a Conundrum..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In a Conundrum..

Let me preface this by saying this is a noob post but please have patience!

Hello everyone

I have always had a fascination for tags, but as I read up more on them theyre perceived as a "department store" or "fashion watch--basically overpriced movements in a overpriced body (summing up as to what I read). My question to ya'll is what are some nice "dressy" watches (similar to a formula one) that are better quality/still respectable and not "looked down" upon?

This brings up the statement of "get what I want" but I want something nice and of quality, and Im still new to watches.

Qualifications:
    up to 44 mm
    I hate this word but "classy" can hit a night on the town or go to a business meeting
    color i dont care but a black face would be cool
    price up to 1100
    automatic

Thanks--
    Mike

Re: In a Conundrum..

Formula One is dressy?
    Shutterbug57 likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

You are going to have to give a bit more guidance what you are looking for. OTOH you say dress watch, then you say

As as much as I like my F1, I can't find any way to work it into the definition of a dress watch.

BTW, Tags get a bum rap around here. I have two and they have been great watches. One is ~15 years old and is still going strong. Buy what you like and don't let the group think of the haters dissuade you.

ETA - where did you find an automatic F1 for $1,100? Your post goes all over the place. You, rightly, point out that some feel Tags are overpriced. You then say you want something like a F1 but nice and of quality, automatic and at $1,100. Are you willing to go used? Even on the used market you are not going to find an automatic F1 for $1,100.
    Last edited by Shutterbug57; October 22nd, 2015 at 12:53.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by emozoo View Post
    basically overpriced movements in a overpriced body
    I think the heartburn is really the perception of pedestrian movements in an overpriced package. If you really like them then go ahead and save for one and don't let a bunch of strangers on the internet change your mind. I have two Tags (an AR and a Carrera) and while I can't say the AR has been trouble free I generally enjoy them both. Tag Heuer is one of the most recognized brands out there by the non WIS public and if that matters to you then save for that Tag. If you want something now, in your price range you need to be looking at Hamilton, Certina, Mido and Oris IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
    You are going to have to give a bit more guidance what you are looking for. OTOH you say dress watch, then you say

As as much as I like my F1, I can't find any way to work it into the definition of a dress watch.

BTW, Tags get a bum rap around here. I have two and they have been great watches. One is ~15 years old and is still going strong. Buy what you like and don't let the group think of the haters dissuade you.

ETA - where did you find an automatic F1 for $1,100? Your post goes all over the place. You, rightly, point out that some feel Tags are overpriced. You then say you want something like a F1 but nice and of quality, automatic and at $1,100. Are you willing to go used? Even on the used market you are not going to find an automatic F1 for $1,100.
    Sorry-- I was all over the place haha I was still waking up! because of my ignorance i thought the f1 I was looking at was an automatic--turns out it was quartz. i am willing to go used, I just want something nice, (I guess dressy wasnt the best word), that can take a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by watch_hor View Post
    I think the heartburn is really the perception of pedestrian movements in an overpriced package. If you really like them then go ahead and save for one and don't let a bunch of strangers on the internet change your mind. I have two Tags (an AR and a Carrera) and while I can't say the AR has been trouble free I generally enjoy them both. Tag Heuer is one of the most recognized brands out there by the non WIS public and if that matters to you then save for that Tag. If you want something now, in your price range you need to be looking at Hamilton, Certina, Mido and Oris IMO.

i'll take a look at oris, thanks!

I own a couple of Rolex's along with a couple of Tags and other swiss watches. Tag makes a great watch and while some models may be overpriced, some represent excellent value for money. You can say this about a lot of brands BTW. At the end of the day buy what YOU like. If YOU love the formula one and find it at a price YOU like, Go for it.

Checkout Hamilton, for the best bang for your buck, these seem to fit the bill (minus size possibly).

Quote Originally Posted by emozoo View Post
    I just want something nice, (I guess dressy wasnt the best word), that can take a beating.
    Have a look at Victorinox. They have a number of nice models that can take a beating. Mine are shown below:

Name:  vsa blue.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  VSA with Gunny tuned.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  144.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by g1zm0e View Post
    Checkout Hamilton, for the best bang for your buck, these seem to fit the bill (minus size possibly).
    If you don't see anything in the Hamilton range that rocks your world look at Tissot and Orient Star.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information