cortebert help

Thread: cortebert help

cortebert help

Hello, i am new. I am from the island of malta, europe. I have been looking for a WWII watch and found this one on the picture.

See atachments for photos please.

Name:  km_a2.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  km_a5.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  km_a6.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  km_a11.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  67.3 KB

It says that is a 1941 cortebert, made for the german army navy, kreigmarine, and has written on it 'KM'........but i dont know if it is an origianl or not, and says that it has a restored dial.....but the back plate has nothing written on it. The watch is huge, its about 51mm diameter without the crown.

It is worth it? it is collectible? no papers are available of course. The seller says it works fine. Do you think it really a german navy 1941 watch? (used on submarines?)

What you think please, any suggestions welcome....

Thank you.
    Last edited by wahh; November 16th, 2007 at 15:32.

Re: cortebert help

looks like a converted pocketwatch. Is it worth it? well whats the price on it?

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    looks like a converted pocketwatch. Is it worth it? well whats the price on it?
    Well its on action but its already $35 but im sure it will go up to $70 or more as the others. So its not real?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

It´s a converted pocket watch and isn´t of much value to a collector of WW II timepieces because it is converted.

Swiss pocket watches (Navigation watches) for the Kriegsmarine (KM) of WW II have been produced by IWC, Vacheron & Constantin, Cortébert, Ulysse Nardin, Solvil (Paul Ditisheim) and Paul Buhré.

There have been to classes of navigation watches, class 1 and class 2.
    Class 1 watches have been made by Lange & Söhne and Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, class 2 watches by Laco, Stowa, IWC und Cortébert. Class 1/class 2 refers to the test results defined by the German Navy. The classification was determined by results of the ‘Kleine Prüfung’ (small examination). This test has been precisely defined by the war ministery of the German Reich.
    These tests, like the ‘Große Prüfung’ (major examination) were conducted at the Naval Observatory in Hamburg or in its affiliate in Gesundbrunnen.

The pocket watch you are bidding at may be a navigation watch, if so the watch sould be marked with KxxxxxxM.

Navigation watches of those times aren´t to get at $ 70. If you google a bit you will see that thise watches are about 500 Euro, 275 BPD...... I´d stay away.

Thank you for the interesting info Mike, i am new at this, i have some couple of watches, i have a pocket watch that was my grandpa (i dont think its worth much, 'Seville' is the brand, but its sentimental to me, i got a seiko 9138-8030, it was my dad's, a Celvin Klein modern one, and some everyday stuff like casio and swatch....but i really would like an old WWII one.

So mike can you help me with some brands of german WWII wristwatches? maybe some brands and how you recognize them if they are pilots, soldiers or navy? maybe the marks they would have written on them? In the same auction there are many like stowa looks converted as well, but there are omega and longines too etc.....

Thank you Mike.

Damien.

by the way i am 21yrs old, but i love old stuff with history.

stuffler,mike

Try to get as much as possible to read from Konrad Knirim, he´s an expert on WW II watches ( www.knirim.de )

Here are some pics of the most wanted (and most expensive) WW II B-watches (Beobachtungsuhren = observer watches):

Lange & Söhne

IWC

Stowa

Laco

If you want to know more please feel free to use our search function. There are lots of posts regarding WW II watches.

Another source: http://www.qahill.com/tz/b-uhr/b-uhr.html
    Lots of pics (commercial site): http://www.heirloom2.com/military.htm
    TZ-library: http://www.timezone.com/library/cjrm...92842675690324

Thank you very much Mike.

Thread Information