Corum or Tudor - Admirals Cup / Black Bay
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Corum or Tudor - Admirals Cup / Black Bay

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Confused Corum or Tudor - Admirals Cup / Black Bay

Hello WUS,

I will be buying my first serious watch soon. I have found two full set watches in very good condition. The first one is a Tudor Black Bay ETA with red bezel and leather strap. Asking price for the Tudor is $2500. The other one is a Corum Admiral's Cup Legend 42 Chronometer with a steel bracelet and the asking price is $1900. As Tudor is much more simple and $600 or 30% more expensive I am really in between because a Tudor will always be a Tudor and hold its value. When I want to upgrade this watch it will be much easier than Corum to do so. On the other hand Corum feels much better and looks more "luxurious". I really can't decide. I like the look of both. I love the red bezel of Tudor but also I love the fact that Corum is not a brand you see on many wrists(which is an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time). I know it will be very easy to service Tudor but I have no idea about Corum on that matter. What do you think? Which one shall I buy for myself for my 35th birthday.

Actual photos of the watches:
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-01-25 at 12.10.24.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  198.5 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2020-01-25 at 12.10.28.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  169.8 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-02-09 at 09.54.43.jpeg
Views: 53
Size:  173.0 KB

Re: Corum or Tudor - Admirals Cup / Black Bay

Put price and value retention out of your mind. Which one do you like best? That’s the one you should get then.

Corum or Tudor - Admirals Cup / Black Bay

Corum has some interesting models, however, Iím not a fan the specific model shown. Iíd take the Tudor without even a second thought. Itís a timeless design. That corum wont age well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

buy the tudor

since you are buying it used, and its your first watch, you'll appreciate the flexibility of being able to flip it quickly if you get bored of it. Which since it's your first serious watch is likely since something this low on the totem pole won't be as impressive in the metal as you are probably thinking.

the Tudor you'll be able to sell within a week or two...with the Corum, you might be stuck holding it for months until you find a buyer who actually wants one

with the Tudor people are actively searching to buy one...with the Corum you have to rely on people stumbling upon your ad and thinking, hrm, looks interesting...which is a lot less likely

[QUOTE]Put price and value retention out of your mind. Which one do you like best? Thatís the one you should get then./QUOTE]

This.
    mpalmer likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

To my eye, the Tudor is ugly, do you really need a chrono?

You should definitely buy what you like. But, that Corum is a bit "out there," definitely not a watch with broad, mainstream appeal. If you love it that's what matters, but I'd look at it hard to make sure its not just a fleeting infatuation.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Put price and value retention out of your mind. Which one do you like best? Thatís the one you should get then.
    That is rule #1. Everything else, including my opinion below matters 0% against what you like.

Putting that aside if it was me and I was putting that kind of money down, especially for the first time, it's Tudor by a wide margin. In my opinion the Tudor is a much more attractive and timeless design, but I admit that I often like "boring" watches, so take my ideals of beauty with however much salt you deem necessary. I agree with you on the Corum being kind of neat because it's a brand you don't see much, but if I'm honest I winced a little when I saw it.

For me, the Corum runs circles around the Tudor. However, I rarely recommend a chrono to a person new to "nice" watches. The service on a chrono can blow the enjoyment out of the water.

Corum pros- bracelet, chrono, interesting design, good looking movement and it's visible. Corum cons- service cost and service availability.

Tudor pros- good looking. simple 3-hand diver. Tudor cons- cheap strap on a daily wearer, pretty common and not very interesting.

I like a simple diver as a daily wearer or as a one-watch collection. A diver on a leather strap, IMO, borders on dumb. I would price the Tudor on bracelet to get a better $ to $ comparison.
    mpalmer likes this.

Both great watches, I have a Black Bay Steel but would happily buy that Corum 42mm at that price

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information