Corvus Watch Company, still with us?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BrentYYC
  • 2 Post By BrentYYC

Thread: Corvus Watch Company, still with us?

Corvus Watch Company, still with us?

I tried to contact the Corvus Watch Company via their website address from Google and on Facebook, but the link goes to a site that asks if I want to buy the domain name.

corvuswatch.com

Does anyone know if they are still in business? As far as I know they were the only company to ever produce an 'original movie style' of the Bond strap. A lot selling NATOs but Connery never wore a NATO on set or off.
    Last edited by blubarb; July 24th, 2015 at 07:29.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Corvus Watch Company, still with us?

They're out of business, but there are others out there that sell the proper strap. Google for "RAF strap" and "original Bond" and you should be able to find some retailers. The RAF style strap is what Connery wore in the bond films, not a NATO as you correctly stated (in fact, the G10 NATO style strap didn't even exist when Connery was wearing the signature Bond strap in those early movies).

EDIT: Here's an example of what you're looking for.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; July 24th, 2015 at 09:47.
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    They're out of business, but there are others out there that sell the proper strap. Google for "RAF strap" and "original Bond" and you should be able to find some retailers. The RAF style strap is what Connery wore in the bond films, not a NATO as you correctly stated (in fact, the G10 NATO style strap didn't even exist when Connery was wearing the signature Bond strap in those early movies).

EDIT: Here's an example of what you're looking for.
    Thanks, BrentYYC. I thought he had worn an RAF style strap, but then I read this:

"...The only challenge was that it was offered in a NATO style and an RAF style. Why was this a challenge? Because Sean Connery never wore a NATO or a RAF. Instead, Sean Connery wore a standard buckle strap."

third paragraph down.

Welcome To RolexMagazine.com...Home Of Jake's Rolex World Magazine..Optimized for iPad and iPhone: The Real James Bond Watchstrap Comes To Life

Not a bad article blog, seems quite credible. What do you think?
    Last edited by blubarb; July 24th, 2015 at 10:31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by johnno1954 View Post
    Thanks, BrentYYC. I thought he had worn an RAF style strap, but then I read this:

"...The only challenge was that it was offered in a NATO style and an RAF style. Why was this a challenge? Because Sean Connery never wore a NATO or a RAF. Instead, Sean Connery wore a standard buckle strap."

third paragraph down.

Welcome To RolexMagazine.com...Home Of Jake's Rolex World Magazine..Optimized for iPad and iPhone: The Real James Bond Watchstrap Comes To Life

Not a bad article blog, seems quite credible. What do you think?
    This is an example of 'sloppy' writing. There are two problems with the information in that article. First, the G10 strap (the design that is referred to today as the NATO strap) wasn't even invented until 1973 when it made its debut as a standard strap issued by the British Ministry of Defense that year. The movie Goldfinger, where Connery first wore his iconic strap, was filmed nine years earlier so the article is completely wrong when it states the strap was offered in both NATO and RAF styles. It was only available as an RAF strap at that time and it would have been impossible for Bond to have worn a NATO strap then because it simply didn't exist yet.

The second comment "Sean Connery never wore a NATO or RAF. Instead, Sean Connery wore a standard buckle strap." is obviously wrong as well because the close-up movie picture they use in the article clearly shows him wearing an RAF strap exactly the same as the one I linked to in my previous post. Perhaps they meant he didn't use an RAF strap in his personal life, because they certainly used one in the movies.

Here's a pic of the modern version of the Bond RAF strap as well as the movie pic from the article. As you can see, they're identical.

Name:  Bond RAF.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  Real-James-Bond-Sean-Connery-Strap.jpg
Views: 2151
Size:  44.4 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; July 25th, 2015 at 04:27.
    siNdreAd and ZephyrNYC like this.

Confused Re: Corvus Watch Company, still with us?

Thread Information