With cost not being an issue,what do.................

Thread: With cost not being an issue,what do.................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

With cost not being an issue,what do.................

you use as a criteria to select the watches that you buy?
    I use a simple formula of asthetics,comfort,and functionallity.It has to meet all three criteria to be considered.

Then again I have been known to impulse buy

Inactive

Re: With cost not being an issue,what do.................

Possibility to service (aka easy and general enough movements with plenty of supply of parts either thanks to commonality or long standing company with long service cycle), how much "heirloom" material it has, aka ageless designs and keep away from straight fashion watches, fashion changes but real design is almost eternal.

Banned

I've made one or two impulse buys in my time. But now I look for specific watches from a specific year or era with certain movements and features. First, it has to look good - I am after dress watches and who wants an ugly watch with a nice suit? Attractive is subjective of course. Next, I want to find the least common feature (date window location, limited run with certain dial and/or hands, etc) and the best caliber that came in the watch. I'd also prefer it to be a lesser known brand to the general public - I'm a fly under the radar kinda guy. Comfort is generally not too much of a problem since vintage and modern dress watches are usually not very large or bulky. I can always put a softer strap on it and be happy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Aesthetics, comfort and functionality are all, of course, important. For me, however, history and heritage of the watch and the company are also important. I love the history associated with the Speedmaster - moreso than that associated with, say, the Tag Carrera. Therefore, I'd choose the former over the latter, even if the Speedmaster wasn't quite up to par in some of the other areas (though I think that it is).
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Agree about aesthetics, but have never had a problem with comfort and dislike complications (not too fussed about a date either), so as long as it has three hands, it's in with a chance...

Prefer autos to quartz though not exclusively, and stainless steel cases to plated or precious metals. Exclusion is easier to define than inclusion. No bracelets or watches with built in bracelets that I can't substitute a strap. Size of case is also important. Don't like big watches, so would pass up on a watch with a beautiful dial if the case was too big (Stowa Marine comes to mind).

I was going to say brand is a criterion, but then there are so many factors in what makes one brand different and preferable to another, and I don't want to open another can of worms... I mention it only because I have bought (and wear) less expensive watches that I prefer simply because I couldn't find another one like it in a 'better' brand.

Looks, quality, brand--not necessarily in that order.

Same qualities as I look for when I have a set budget...looks, design, brand
    Watch list:

Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50
    , Tudor Black Bay Black Bezel eta, Tudor Pelagos LHD, Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

1. aesthetics first ( don't care what brand or how high quality it is if i dont like the look of it)

2. brand ( which incorporates things like prestige AND/OR reputation for quality, good movements, casing, finish)

3. history ( this is a factor that's often overlooked that can overlap with # 2)

4. comfort ( though i think a decent majority of watches are comfortable so long as you get the bracelet/strap sized)

5. unique (definitely not always the case but i'd prefer to get a watch that is less trendy/common/well known amongst the non WIS masses)
    Last edited by acdelco; September 9th, 2009 at 23:22.
    --AC

beshannon

Same way I choose my women, I have to like the look especially the face. If that does not work, I don't care who makes it or what it costs.

I use the cliche approach of going for the watch that smiles at me. So far, I have not attempted to analyze why a particular watch smiles at me, and that's fine for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information