Cost/Value Tag, Uboat, Anonimo
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cost/Value Tag, Uboat, Anonimo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cost/Value Tag, Uboat, Anonimo

Ok, I really am not trying to start a flame thread or anything, but I am trying to understand how the culture of WUS values things and why (to better understand watches and maybe as I begin buying more expensive watches, avoid mistakes). So I have seen a number of threads lambasting UBOAT (and some other brands) as being overpriced. Now I am strictly talking cost/value here as aesthetics seems to open up a huge can of worms. I totally understand people not liking the way UBOATs look. That's fine. I hate Monet's paintings but recognize that for many they are brilliant. Anyway here is my question: (I chose these models based on the fact that I like them if there are others that illuminate or counter the argument please let me know)

A UBOAT Classico CAS 43mm retails for $3100 according to Ashford. ($1900 from them)
    A Tag Heuer Link retails for $3600 according to Jomashop. ($2800 from them)

Both of these use the 7750 and similar materials (the link has applied indices, a more elaborate dial, and a bracelet which should increase its cost). Both are modified 7750s (I think. Tag calls it Caliber 16 but the shops call it a 7750) but I can't figure out the relative value of these modifications or the grade of the movement. UBOAT has an anecdotally much worse reputation for quality, but I also can't find any non-anecdotal information about relative failure rates, etc. But on this forum I have been called names for liking the UBOAT, while I see some, but much less vitriol directed towards Tag, particularly as a brand and rarely threads saying they are overpriced (at least not with the mocking that UBOATs get).

Anonimo's Militare line is also something that I like. Their Chrono retails for about $7000. It is a modded 2892 with a modified Dubois Depraz 2035 module. Otherwise it has similar specs to the above watches. $7000 US seems like a high retail (I have seen it for around $4000 gray market) for a stainless steel watch with out of house movements. Especially given that the Militare Vintage retails for about $4000 and has a modded Sellita 260 in it. But I don't see people accuse Anonimo of being over priced, even in recent this or that threads.

So where is this assessment of relative values coming from? I recognize that these are very different watches, some with applied markers and bracelets some with leather, each modded in their own way. I guess what I am wondering is, how do you go about comparing two watches for cost/value? Is there a way given what seems to be a relative sparsity of information to make such judgements? Are there centralized resources of information (besides forums)?

Thanks
    Dagaz Modded Seiko SKX007 | Benarus Moray III | Magrette Moana Pacific Diver 2011 | Hexa K500 | Prometheus S80 | Seiko SNAD53

Boron ??? | | Gruen ??? | Timex ???

Greetings from Albuquerque!

Re: Cost/Value Tag, Uboat, Anonimo

Personal preference = Value.
    Don't really like the look of UBoat the Value = 0
    Depends on which Tag model, most of their models are kind of generic, some are quite good and there are a few that I would pay full retail for.
    Anonimo has unique looking watches. Personal favs are the Professionale and Dino Zei lines.

if you are questioning the value of the watch, then you just don't like the watch enough.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No vitriol towards TAG? Have you been living under a rock?

Example
    Watch Collecting - Why does Tag Heuer suck? Why I hate the brand - YouTube
    Hammondo likes this.

Personal preference = Value.
    This is what I believe also. Value is a subjective thing. An object is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Having said that I own a U-Boat watch so I voted with my wallet.
    Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
    Groucho Marx

To me value equals what a watch is worth, in excellent condition, shortly after it's purchased. If a watch loses more than half or more of its purchased price when you leave the store it does not have much value. I purchased an Anonimo new from an AD because I liked the watch and its "back-story." I was new at this game and did not check the "value" of the watch by looking at the previously owned, for sale sites. I still like the watch but would never buy another.
    Caveat lector

I have been having some serious concerns myself about my watches, most of which are Omega. The reason being that many watches from say....$500 to $4000 have generic ETA....valjoux movements in, which in some cases is slightly changed by companies, but I honestly believe that the brand name determines what the final overly marked up price will be!

This has been bugging me for several weeks now, to a point where I am seriously wanting to sell most of my watches and get a couple of pieces with in-house movements....something that is not mainstream......and will still retain some value.

With brands like Tag Heuer (don't forget Heuer....thats the part of the modern brand which gives it any history at all), Uboat and Anonimo and the like...even Omega.....they use pretty ordinary movements...yes reliable, but not something which retains much value....
    Last edited by Hammondo; February 4th, 2012 at 23:47.
    Hammy

Omega Ω Seamaster GMT 2234.50 (daily wear)
    Oris BC3 Advanced Day Date (tool watch but looking to sell)
    Casio Edifice EQW-A1110 Atomic Solar (for my eldest)
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic (for my youngest)
    Garmin Forerunner (when I start running again!)
    Casio Mudman (looking to just give away)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammondo View Post
    I have been having some serious concerns myself about my watches, most of which are Omega. The reason being that many watches from say....$500 to $4000 have generic ETA....valjoux movements in, which in some cases is slightly changed by companies, but I honestly believe that the brand name determines what the final overly marked up price will be!

This has been bugging me for several weeks now, to a point where I am seriously wanting to sell most of my watches and get a couple of pieces with in-house movements....something that is not mainstream......and will still retain some value.

With brands like Tag Heuer (don't forget Heuer....thats the part of the modern brand which gives it any history at all), Uboat and Anonimo and the like...even Omega.....they use pretty ordinary movements...yes reliable, but not something which retains much value....
    The 2500 in your PO would have cost you 100k when it first appeared in an omega! all the hype over in-house misses some fairly significant points. even if the 2500 is based on a 2892 ebauche, it is still one of the most innovative and daring movements of recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    No vitriol towards TAG? Have you been living under a rock?

Example
    Watch Collecting - Why does Tag Heuer suck? Why I hate the brand - YouTube
    I live next to some very big rocks that are like a mile taller than me. I guess I haven't seen vitriol like that YouTube video here on WUS.

Man that guy is an ass Can I have my time back? Ok so how is tag different than any other watch that used ETA or Sellita or Miyota or Seiko movements? How is any given in-house movement better than an off the shelf movement?
    Dagaz Modded Seiko SKX007 | Benarus Moray III | Magrette Moana Pacific Diver 2011 | Hexa K500 | Prometheus S80 | Seiko SNAD53

Quote Originally Posted by NWP627 View Post
    To me value equals what a watch is worth, in excellent condition, shortly after it's purchased. If a watch loses more than half or more of its purchased price when you leave the store it does not have much value. I purchased an Anonimo new from an AD because I liked the watch and its "back-story." I was new at this game and did not check the "value" of the watch by looking at the previously owned, for sale sites. I still like the watch but would never buy another.
    I think used price is an excellent metric. I guess I am wondering what factors go into creating the phenomena, why that drop in value exists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information