Could this be true?

Thread: Could this be true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could this be true?

I sure hope not. I was in a pawn shop the other day and the guy said they no longer had any interest in watches. He said he can't sell them and he won't buy them or take them in trade. The reason: he said that people don't use watches anymore; they use their cell phone to tell the time. Say it ain't so Joe.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

Re: Could this be true?

Interest in watches has definately declined but not to that extent.

Personally i think a cellphone is a lot less convenient than a cheap watch which also doubles as a fashion accessory. And it hardly costs much.

I say it's other people's loss. I suppose the gift of time is no longer as valuable today to some but slipping a watch on is the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing thing at night. Having a bare wrist drives me up the wall.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Every business is free to sell whatever it wants, and every person is entitled to their opinion. He probably has a tough time selling watches so it isn't worth his time. I know an estate sale jeweler who has zero interest in watches because she doesn't like them either, but if she calls me with a good one it's an immediate sale for her. As long as she doesn't put two and two together then it's good for me!

Quote Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
    The reason: he said that people don't use watches anymore; they use their cell phone to tell the time.
    One person's opinion, that's all~Cheers!

I guess to someone who doesn't have the habit of wearing a watch,it's true that using your cell phone to tell time is perfectly fine too. We could be the weird ones insisting on having a watch..n not just 1 or 10 but as many as we can afford!

Some truth to that. The crash of 01 caused a lot of dumping of collections, food and shelter have a higher priority. It's far worse this time.

MdN

Well, if there were any pawn shop where I live, I'd be checking them regularly for watches. And cell phones, while I'm at that. And some other stuff I also collect.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

For a pawn shop, I'll believe it. Most people do not own a box of Pateks and Rolexes. Probably he has had a slew of people trying to hock Seikos and Casios (>$150 new). These would not resell well, and even if they did his margin would be small on them.

There are a number of pawn shops in my area, they never have anything mechanical, and the watches they do have (all quartz fashion brands) sit for years.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

I think watch use among a certain income bracket has declined largely because watches are largely unnecessary with cell phones. Example: I'm a college student and almost no one on campus wears a watch. I think it's still a status symbol though so you will still find people who can afford unnecessary things buying them.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information