Counterfiet Watches: Why is there a demand?

Thread: Counterfiet Watches: Why is there a demand?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Rxq

Counterfiet Watches: Why is there a demand?

I'm doing some research about counterfeit goods and I just wanted to bounce a few ideas with fellow WUS members and see your opinions.

In a nutshell, why is there a demand for counterfeit (luxury) watches?
    Why do people knowingly purchase a counterfeit?
    What decisions do they make before, during, and after (assuming they went along with it) a purchase of a counterfeit?
    What defines the border between a counterfeit and a homage?
    What factors affect one's consideration of how an original is superior to a counterfeit or how a counterfeit is not inferior to an original (in terms of if function and the quality of material used is the same)?
    Does counterfeiting really affect (devalue) the brand (who's synonymous with quality, technology, and prestige) they are copying if the consumer would not have purchased an original in the first place?

Price obviously plays a huge factor on this topic so let's ignore it completely, and focus on the other factors.

Also, may I quote (on paper) you on your thoughtful replies?

Points we've made so far to buy people purchase counterfeit watches:
    -affordability
    -Counterfeits create a false image for the wearer.
    -Brand recognition
    -Homage: a copy in styling
    -Fake: a copy in brand name
    Last edited by Rxq; November 10th, 2008 at 09:50.

stuffler,mike

Re: Counterfeit Watches: Why is there a demand?

Not again

Rxq

Re: Counterfeit Watches: Why is there a demand?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Not again
    I did a search, the results i saw were mostly "Is this watch fake should I buy it."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Counterfiet Watches: Why is there a demand?

I liked them as a young kid. It was cool to me to have a fancy watch and I couldn't tell any difference. As an adult I cant imagine liking a fake but then again I dont really even like sub 1k watches.

These types of discussions invariably lead to arguments. I'll keep this open as long as people keep the discussion fair and free of attacks. But if it gets to the point where someone is knocking a high end watchmaker and claiming that a rep is the same thing, then this thread gets closed because of the direction those discussions always lead. Bottom line, there are quality watches at all price levels, and WUS supports the watch trade through gen companies, not reps.

Feel free to buy whatever you want, and enjoy your acquisitions. That's the fun of being a WIS.
    Lots of dive watches.

I remeber a thread on another forum, a while back where some guy was saying he had some Breitling (forget which one) and a fake version of the same watch. He would wear the fake and leave the real one at home in a safe.

The appeal of these watches is simple. People want to appear to be affluent, for any number of reasons (career, opposite sex- whatever). A lot of people just want to create a certain impression and either can't afford the real thing or just aren't into watches and cannot see the point in spending big money when they can get something that is superficially the same from some bloke on a beach for very little money. As for the hommage vs.fake thing,a quick search on any watch forum will give you as much information as you need on that one.

Cause the world is full of wannabes and wannabe = homage, unless a
    maker makes a homage to a watch that they once made. Good example; TAG - Monaco or Longines - Flagship Replica.

Banned

I think it is a pity that the "fakers" go to such lengts to create a copy of somebody elses design, instead of creating an own. As it is now, they are illegal, and we dislike them. If they made something own, they would get much more respect from us.

I would randomly guess that buyers of fakes fall into a couple categories:

(a) they don't really think much of it and think its neat -- how much they actually want the real thing or how able they are to afford it might vary

(b) it's some sort of bizarre rebellion against the oppressive, materialistic fascists and their iron grip on modern day society. down with the man! or somesuch...

(I made (b) up, I really have no idea)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information