Couple questions regarding my Breitling Seawolf & Baume and Mercier Classima

Thread: Couple questions regarding my Breitling Seawolf & Baume and Mercier Classima

Couple questions regarding my Breitling Seawolf & Baume and Mercier Classima

Hi folks - sorry to have an inventory of questions in this post, but I find I learn so much more reading the posters here than I could anyway else, so...

First off, I recently bought a Diplomat Quad winder, which I've kept both aforementioned watches in for the past 3 weeks on the fourth setting, i.e. alternately rotates for a number of mins (I think 5) in both directions for a few hours (I think 4), then rests 9 hours, then repeats. I just found my Breitling stopped, while the B&M was still running. Any thoughts why?

Second, regarding the B&M, I've read a couple of posts that claim the indexes on this watch are molded into the dial, rather than applied. To my naked eye, this seems to be fact. Can anyone confirm this? I emailed B&M with this question 3 weeks ago, but no response so far.

Thanks all!

It is my understanding that winders do not actually wind your wrist watch stated another way, they do not add to your existing power reserve. Winders maintain the current reserve level provided the minimum # of required turns for the given movement.
    Hope this helps.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Re: Couple questions regarding my Breitling Seawolf & Baume and Mercier Classima

I think your watches may require different settings. I don't know the first thing about your quad but presumably each of the four winders can be programmed separately so try a different setting for the Breitling. Orbita has an extensive list of watches and required winder settings on their website so that may give some insight too.

Applied and embossed indexes look very different so I suspect your guess is correct. A B&M dealer could confirm that for you if needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Couple questions regarding my Breitling Seawolf & Baume and Mercier Classima

My Baume and Mercier Hampton annual calendar does look like it has embossed markers, instead of applied markers.

Your Breitling might have a unidirectional rotor, or require more revolutions per days.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

It is my understanding that winders do not actually wind your wrist watch stated another way, they do not add to your existing power reserve. Winders maintain the current reserve level provided the minimum # of required turns for the given movement.
    That is what I though too.....
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Like John says, look on the Orbita database for your watch to see what sort of winding action it needs then set your hub accordingly.

In rare instances a winder could maintain exactly what ever power reserve was on the watch when placed on the winder. Usually it will over or undershoot that mark gradually. As we do when swinging the watch about on an arm but faster.

Thank you all for the comments. Very helpful indeed, and this one really drove home the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    In rare instances a winder could maintain exactly what ever power reserve was on the watch when placed on the winder. Usually it will over or undershoot that mark gradually. As we do when swinging the watch about on an arm but faster.
    This sparks a follow up, suppose in order to guard against the case of undershooting I choose a wind setting, which I know will overshoot to some degree, will I do any harm to my watches? Stated more simply, can I damage my watches by overwinding?

Also, regarding the dial on my Baume & Mercier, someone who signed off as "Brand Ambassador" replied to my email today with the following: "The dial index of this watch are gilded red gold-plated; they are applied separately on the dial, not molded into the dial."

Which leads me to wonder why they don't advertise this in their product descriptions.
    Last edited by WatchILuv; January 10th, 2014 at 00:15.

Yes you can harm your watches if they are left on the winder for extended periods of time. Automatic watches allow the mainspring to slip within the barrel once it is fully wound. Not to mention wear from needlessly running the movement. Kinda like leaving your your car idling in the driveway for months on end.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Yes you can harm your watches if they are left on the winder for extended periods of time. Automatic watches allow the mainspring to slip within the barrel once it is fully wound. Not to mention wear from needlessly running the movement. Kinda like leaving your your car idling in the driveway for months on end.
    An automatic watch is designed to run for 4-5 years, 24 hrs. a day, 365 days a year....Your car is not.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Thread Information