Crown design?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Crown design?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crown design?

I'm curious, how important is the design of the crown to you? To what extend does it influence how much you like a watch or not? Did you ever buy or not buy a watch mainly because of its crown?

For instance I find it difficult to like the Chronoswiss Timemaster due to its exposed crown, which looks odd in combination with the dial and bezel, imho. In a very different segment, I do like the integrated design on the Tissot Automatics III, even though it makes setting date and time more delicate than on other watches. Do you have similar or completely different preferences?

Name:  crown_chronoswiss.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  51.0 KBName:  crown_tissot.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  41.7 KB

Furthermore, what's your opinion on "crown complications"? Do you like/dislike crown guards, the protective bridge of Panerai or the cranked U-Boat style, to name a few?

Name:  crown_panerai.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  47.7 KBName:  crown_u-boat.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  49.3 KB

Do these serve an aesthetical or a practical purpose for you? Like, did you ever break a crown because it had no guards or did you accidently stop the movement by pulling the crown without noticing?

Re: Crown design?

I'm not a fan of onion crowns unless it suits the watch. In the case of the Chronoswiss, it doesn't, imo. I can't stand those chained crowns that stick way out. Those just look ugly to me. I'm also not big on whatever you call the shape on the Radiomirs.

I do like the Panerai crown guard. Not purely for function, but because it goes with the curves of the case. I'm also rather fond of the Otago's oversized, 5 groove crown. Easy to grasp & it goes with the bezel.

I'm not even sure how the U-Boat mechanism works, but it looks interesting.

I definitely will buy or not buy a watch based on crown design, as much as any other design element. I'm not going to jump on a watch just because it has a nice crown, but if I dislike the crown, it's a strike against purchasing.

Inactive

I definitely will buy or not buy a watch based on crown design, as much as any other design element..
    For me it's an absolutely key part of the design, and for me again, for the most part the designer gets it right.
    But sometimes they could choose another and still win.

There are some where I've gone ummm and well, its not been bought... but maybe that was the watch and not just the crown..
    For instance a recent Nivrel range I sawdo uses a typical 1970/1960s "thin like a very thin" crown and I've gone ummmm ....and yet another nivrel I saw, I bought, and the crown bizarrely definitely was a big part of the "ooooo, I like" .....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am a nervous nail biter and I need the crown to be easily accessible thus crown guards are a no go for me. Knurling and larger crowns are/were certainly considerations during my watch acquisition phase.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

That chronoswiss crown is ugly! Crown is important for me.

Blunderact

Crown plays a crucial role in an automatic and quite possibly the most important role in a hand wind. I've seen too many watches that have horrible crown design just to look good but are completely impractical when it comes to winding the watch.

No.1 culprit was Raymond Weil Don Giovanni dual time. I just could not wind the watch at all. Odd shape, too small, polished to the point of no grip. Worse yet was that it was hard to pull it to set the watch and I had to fumble with it so much to get it done. Such a shame on an otherwise beautiful watch.
    Name:  raymond-weil-don-giovanni-cosi-grande-dual-time-gents-watch-4888-stc-20001-977-p.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  18.1 KB
    No.2 - Rado Original Diastar - Good luck trying to wind the watch with the crown
    Name:  DSC02081.JPG
Views: 698
Size:  159.7 KB

Examples of my favourite crown designs

No. 1 - Accutron Gemini - Super easy to get a grip and wind the watch, doesnt give me blisters like some of the rough crowns
    Name:  2609436-4254982929-l.gif
Views: 399
Size:  23.3 KB
    No.2 - Hamitlon Jazzmaster auto-chrono and Zeno Chronograph - Again, simple elegant crowns that are easy to use and functional yet keep the look of the watch
    Name:  H32606855.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  96.2 KB

And now for a specialty, the worst crown/pusher design of all time
    Name:  AeromaticA1326alt.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  18.6 KB
    ffritz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NinthSphere View Post
    I'm not a fan of onion crowns unless it suits the watch. In the case of the Chronoswiss, it doesn't, imo. I can't stand those chained crowns that stick way out. Those just look ugly to me. I'm also not big on whatever you call the shape on the Radiomirs.

I do like the Panerai crown guard. Not purely for function, but because it goes with the curves of the case. I'm also rather fond of the Otago's oversized, 5 groove crown. Easy to grasp & it goes with the bezel.

I definitely will buy or not buy a watch based on crown design, as much as any other design element. I'm not going to jump on a watch just because it has a nice crown, but if I dislike the crown, it's a strike against purchasing.
    I agree with most all of this. I would say, however, that the more I see the Chronoswiss crowns, the more they have grown on me. The crown doesn't work well on that particular watch because it is a sportier offering, but the ones that are more dressy looking look much less objectionable with that crown. I have come to accept it as sort of a signature Chronoswiss design element so if I found a Chronoswiss watch that I thought was beautiful enough to buy, the onion crown would not weigh negatively against it.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
    Name:  AeromaticA1326alt.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  18.6 KB
    This watch reminds me of this guy from a movie :

I agree that the crown is just one element in the package and it all must be taken as a whole. On the other hand, yes, I have not purchased a watch because the crown seemed too large. The Maranez Layan, for example.

The Time Bum: Exploring the world of wrist watches on a budget.
    www.thetimebum.com, @thetimebum on Instagram and Twitter
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Time Bum - Watch reviews, photos, and assorted horological musings.
    Also on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by NinthSphere View Post

^ this exactly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information