Cuervo y Sobrinos Impressions
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Cuervo y Sobrinos Impressions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cuervo y Sobrinos Impressions

Now that I've had my new CyS Flameante for a few weeks now, I thought I'd post photos and my impressions of it.

This model is from the Historiador line. These are distinguished by round cases with "Cornes de Vache" (bull horn) style lugs.

As you can see, the watch is a simple 3 hander with the seconds displayed in a sub dial just above 6 0'clock.

The silver dial has a flame guilloche (stamped) pattern to it that along with the silver of the dial really plays with the light. The rose gold hands, dagger style indices, shield logo, 3, 6, and 9 set it off quite nicely. It's a beautiful dial and was one of the main selling points for me. The sword hands have tiny amounts of Superluminova - very tiny. The lume doesn't detract from the style of the hands but it only provides marginal (both in duration and brightness) luminosity.

The case diameter is 40mm which for me is just about perfect. Although with such a thin bezel it does wear big for it's size. The lugs add to that feeling too with their charactor and size. That said the thickness (or should I say thinness) of only 6.2mm and the curved down lugs does make this an easy watch to wear.

Along with the thinnesse of the case one other point of interest is that this is a 2 part case, not the usual 3 part. There is no seperate bezel.

The movement, what CyS calls the CYS 2052 is based on the ETA/Peseux 7001. CyS, to their credit, note this in their specs for the watch. They don't hide the base movement information. This movement is a handwound, 2.5mm thin, 17 jewel movement with 42 hours of power reserve. It's a nicely decorated movement with blued screws, pearlage, Cote de Geneve, and Cote de Soliel, along with a slate grey treatment on one of the bridges. It does not hack.
    With my watch it's also quite accurate - losing less than 4 seconds a day.

The 2mm strap is alligator and comes with a very nicely detailed deployant clasp (with engraving and pearlage) and quick release pins. To me the tan colour is a great match for the watch, picking up the rose gold details of the dial. But I think nearly any colour strap would suit this watch. From deep green, to blue, to dark brown, or black.

The watch comes in a BIG, beautifully made, cedar lined, with gold plated hardware watch box/humidor. Even if you don't smoke (which I don't) it's one of the nicest watch boxes out there.

What do I like?

I like the flare and style of it. It's a simple design, but from the "Cornes de Vache" lugs, to the flame pattern dial, to the rose gold hands and markers, to the decorated movement, to the detailed deployant clasp it's anything but plain. There are a lot of neat details to this watch.

It's also a very comfortable watch to wear, the strap is supple and the watch is light weight without feeling cheap.

It's an accurate watch too - okay, it runs slow instead of fast but that could be easily regulated. It consistently runs at -3 seconds a day.

What don't I like?

I wish it was hackable and I wish the crown was a tiny bit bigger, that would make it easier to wind. But those are minor quibbles.

Over all I really like this watch and could see adding another Cuervo y Sobrinos to my collection in the future (the Prominente is very attractive!).

Thanks for reading, now to the photographs...

Name:  Wrist1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  2.06 MB

Name:  Flame5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  watch1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.46 MB

Name:  Flame1.jpg
Size:  1.98 MB

Name:  back1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  2.04 MB

(please ignore the finger smudges!)
    Name:  clasp1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.61 MB

Name:  clasp2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  1.53 MB

Name:  Box4.jpg
Size:  2.00 MB

Name:  box3.jpg
Size:  1.72 MB

Re: Cuervo y Sobrinos Impressions

Wow I've always been intrigued by this brand. Love the watchbox/humidor. The dial is straight sexy. I really like it. Thank you for the great review and pics. I hope you enjoy the watch in great health for many years. This was an excellent review sir.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    John Price and Slm643 like this.

Thanks indygreg!

I definitely recommend them. If you get one I'll be curious which model you end up with.

John

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hadn't heard of that brand before, but it's a beautiful watch. Thanks for sharing and for the review.
    John Price and Slm643 like this.
    Breitling | G-Shock | Glycine | Jaeger-LeCoultre | JS Watch | Longines | Omega | Rolex | Squale | Stowa | Tudor

Excellent review and photos. Thank you. This CyS is beautiful !
    John Price likes this.

This watch is pretty cool. Awesome vintage feel with unique dial.

But I am extremely impressed with the box. If it was unbranded, I would be tempted to buy it for my JLCs that came in basically thick cardboard.
    John Price likes this.
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Better than I expected. Love the case.
    John Price likes this.

Thumbs Up Re: Cuervo y Sobrinos Impressions

excellent write up, fantastic pics, and gorgeous watch!
    John Price likes this.

I like the lug shape on this. They remind me of teardrop lugs on Vacheron’s Cornes de vache.
    John Price likes this.

Nice watch with great dial layout. Nice review too.
    John Price likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information