Cunning plan or the self-deluded ramblings of an addict?

Thread: Cunning plan or the self-deluded ramblings of an addict?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cunning plan or the self-deluded ramblings of an addict?

Ok, so recently I've become enamoured of the Grand Seiko SBGX059.

This is one of their quartz models with a movement accurate to 10s a year. To my mind it's a beautiful, classically styled watch with a great movement under the hood from a marque with a reputation for superb finishing and detailing. I haven't handled one yet but hope to get up to the single UK AD in London at some point to do so. I won't be buying one at that point though for 3 reasons. Firstly I just can't afford it at the moment, having bought Explorer not so long ago. Secondly, whilst I love the idea of a HEQ movement I don't 100% know that I'll love it 6 months down the line. It's not a cheap watch (especially for a quartz) and I'm concerned the tick of that second hand will end up like a telltale heart telling me I should have spent the money on an automatic dress watch. Finally, I'm also slightly wary of spending that much on a style of watch I haven't really worn before.
    So, here's my master plan.....buy 2 watches instead to help me make the decision!
    My thought pattern was that I could pick up a Seiko SARB035 to see if the style works for me (they are similar looking watches, I'm guessing the SARB is just less well finished) and an SBCM023 (which has a lower grade HEQ movement accurate to 20s a year) to see how I get on with that.

Not a true test in either case but it does seem like a relatively inexpensive way of seeing how the GS would feel. I should be able to pick up both watches on the Sales Forum for about 1/4 the cost of the GS and flip them without dramatic loss if I decide to go for it. I should also note that both are watches that made it onto my wish list when I first started visiting WUS.

So, good idea or just me justifying the purchase of 2 watches because I'm able to afford them (or at least will be a lot sooner than the GS)
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Re: Cunning plan or the self-deluded ramblings of an addict?

litmus test for addiction

see if the so (or any civilian) thinks its a good idea instead of asking other similarly afflicted

if they agree wait a day or week and see if you still think its a good idea

then go for it!

Banned

WIS logic. I love it.

.... and totally agree with it! It's a great idea. You might find that you can live with the SARB035 and not fret over the GS. If you have doubts over the incessant tick-tick-ticking of a quartz second hand just thinking about it, you'll be driven to madness when you actually own one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Being sated by the SARB035 would be a good place to be...then I could buy a Breitling Colt II to scratch the HEQ itch.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

G07

Hey Olly,

The SARB035 is a fantastic watch. In fact, it was the first SARB I owned. While very nice, it's no GS. My first GS was a SBGX041, HEQ. The case, lugs, dial,hands and bracelet were beautiful - the quality and workmanship of the lower priced HEQ GS's is no different from their automatics and SD's. While I loved my first GS, I wasn't 100% satisfied ... the only drawback was the quartz movement. I'm not saying HEQ is no good - it just wasn't what I wanted in a GS. Since I sold my first GS, I've been fortunate to own three more - all SBGM modesls (001,003 and 007).
    I couldn't be more happy - I have two in my current 3 watch collection. I sold my 007 when I bought my Rolex Explorer.

You have a hard decision - my thoughts, after going down a similar road ... don't settle for seconds. Once you hold a GS in your hands, you'll soon realize you are holding a special watch. Believe me - they are special! Place your Rolex next to a GS ... compare case to case, lugs to lugs, dials, hands, indices, bracelet etc. You'll know what I mean - seriously. They are that nice. IMHO, make that visit to the GS boutique - wear your Explorer (you know I loved that Rolex) and keep an open mind, and spend some time comparing watches. The type of GS you are interested in are similar in size to your Rolex. If I were you, don't spend $ on those two watches - if you have your heart set on a GS after seeing them in the flesh, start saving :)

If you have any doubts about the tick, tick hand -go the automatic route.

Good luck Olly - the hunt is half the fun!

When you visit the GS store, ask them to borrow a 10X loupe or bring your own ... then you'll see the difference quality and the top notch workmanship is all about at relatively bargin prices when it comes to watches of that quality!!

Report back to us if and when you make the visit :)

All the best-

John

Another option is to try the SBQL007. That will give you a similar look (though perhaps not quite as close as the SARB) as well as a HEQ in the one watch, and for less $ than the SARB.

GlennO - thank you. Great idea but unfortunately that particular watch doesn't speak to me at all
    John- thank you too. As ever your advice is sage and well reasoned. This is a dilemma indeed but an enjoyable one, as you say the chase is half the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    WIS logic. I love it.

.... and totally agree with it! It's a great idea. You might find that you can live with the SARB035 and not fret over the GS. If you have doubts over the incessant tick-tick-ticking of a quartz second hand just thinking about it, you'll be driven to madness when you actually own one.
    Totally agree.... Minus the Quartz thing.......

I think you trying both is a great plan Olly. If you decide you only love one aspect of the watch then you can keep one of the "samples". If you love both, get rid of those (Ill take the diver) and grab the GS!
    Cheers,
    Mike

The only Seiko I would consider buying would be a spring drive. But, $7k plus - I do not think so - not for a Japaneze watch. For that money I will buy another Rolex or Zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
    The only Seiko I would consider buying would be a spring drive. But, $7k plus - I do not think so - not for a Japaneze watch. For that money I will buy another Rolex or Zenith.
    I don't understand this kind of perception. Great watches can come from anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information