A Curious Experiment - Sell All Your Watches
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: A Curious Experiment - Sell All Your Watches

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

A Curious Experiment - Sell All Your Watches

I decided about a week or two ago that A.) I have too many watches, B.) I want a new watch and C.) to sell all my watches.

This led me down an interesting path, from photographing all of them, posting all of them (popular auction site) and now I'm in this weird limbo while I watch the auctions of watches I've owned for up to 7+ years get sold. In the end I don't tie memories to watches, so I'm not emotionally attached to any of them in that regard, but some I've had for so long they do feel like family at times and it's a collection I'm proud of.

What I am stoked about is I play to use 1/3 of the proceeds to pay off some random bills and use 2/3 of the proceeds to buy a new watch or two.

So has anyone else done this or thought of it?

-Troy
    Ottovonn, sefrcoko and MrCairo like this.
    See my watch pics on Instagram: @timethief

Current watches: Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic 1958, Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Chronograph GMT Navy SEALs, Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Squadra Hometime, Seiko Prospex Spring Drive Diver, Sinn U1.

Prior watches: Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (15400st), Breguet Type XX Aéronavale, Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44, Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar, Rolex Sea-Dweller Deepsea, Rolex Submariner "Hulk" 116610LV, Rolex white-dial Explorer II, Panerai Radiomir 8-day (190), Panerai Luminor (176), Omega Seamaster "Bond" Co-Axial, Omega Dynamic Chronograph, Chronoswiss Timemaster, Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver, Frederique Constant Vintage Rally Chronograph (Peking to Paris), KOBOLD Soarway Diver - Cali dial, KOBOLD Soarway Diver SEAL, MeisterSinger No. 02, Sinn UTC Diapal 757, Sinn 656, Helson Bronze Shark Diver, Universal Geneve Aero-Compax.

Re: A Curious Experiment - Sell All Your Watches

I'm new to this, but since a lot of the fun is getting new stuff, I figured I'd be doing something like this every few years if I keep up with it... although selling ALL of them seems like it might be hard, I could definitely see myself getting rid of all but 1 or 2.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

I kind of do tie some memories and get attached to a few watches. In particular my Explorer 2 which is my second time zone travel watch. In time clothes, shoes and other material things wear out. My watch will be around for a very long time. My Explorer 2 has been to some amazing places with me and it helps me remember some great memories of places I been around the world. It's something I can pass on to my family one day with the stories and places I been that go along with it. So no, I couldn't do it. Some watches are worth more then the sum of its parts to me.
    -JP

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not a flipper. I enjoy owning and wearing watches more than simply 'getting new stuff', so it would defeat the purpose of buying them in the first place.
    124Spider, MusicPDX and jupiter6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mchent View Post
    I decided about a week or two ago that A.) I have too many watches, B.) I want a new watch and C.) to sell all my watches.

This led me down an interesting path, from photographing all of them, posting all of them (popular auction site) and now I'm in this weird limbo while I watch the auctions of watches I've owned for up to 7+ years get sold. In the end I don't tie memories to watches, so I'm not emotionally attached to any of them in that regard, but some I've had for so long they do feel like family at times and it's a collection I'm proud of.

What I am stoked about is I play to use 1/3 of the proceeds to pay off some random bills and use 2/3 of the proceeds to buy a new watch or two.

So has anyone else done this or thought of it?

-Troy
    No, I've never considered that and I'm sorry that I even read about you doing it ..... good by and good luck in therapy .....
    bacari, Doboji, westlake and 1 others like this.
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

I think my tastes have just changed. I look at all my watches and the passion isn't there. Trying to reignite the spark by rebooting.
    See my watch pics on Instagram: @timethief

Current watches: Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic 1958, Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Chronograph GMT Navy SEALs, Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Squadra Hometime, Seiko Prospex Spring Drive Diver, Sinn U1.

Prior watches: Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (15400st), Breguet Type XX Aéronavale, Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44, Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar, Rolex Sea-Dweller Deepsea, Rolex Submariner "Hulk" 116610LV, Rolex white-dial Explorer II, Panerai Radiomir 8-day (190), Panerai Luminor (176), Omega Seamaster "Bond" Co-Axial, Omega Dynamic Chronograph, Chronoswiss Timemaster, Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver, Frederique Constant Vintage Rally Chronograph (Peking to Paris), KOBOLD Soarway Diver - Cali dial, KOBOLD Soarway Diver SEAL, MeisterSinger No. 02, Sinn UTC Diapal 757, Sinn 656, Helson Bronze Shark Diver, Universal Geneve Aero-Compax.

I think if you are ok with selling all your watches, you bought the wrong watches.

I am too lazy to sell all of my watches
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Quote Originally Posted by theTimko View Post
    I think if you are ok with selling all your watches, you bought the wrong watches.
    Hmm... that's curious. Are tastes not allowed to change over time? I have trouble imagining buying a watch that I wouldn't be OK selling at some point, no matter how much I like it. People are different.
    Der Amf and Brey17 like this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Can't do it at this time. Just started out building my own collection.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information