Is custom finishing ebauches a dying art?

Thread: Is custom finishing ebauches a dying art?

v76

Question Is custom finishing ebauches a dying art?

In the not-too-distant past, even the great marques of Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet (probably to a lesser extent) and other highly regarded watch brands used to get ebauches from FP, JLC, Lemania and other makers of high/fairly high end movements, perform modifications to suit their requirements and finish them in their own signature styles/ways. I can understand in the past the reluctance of PP and VC to develop their own calibers for complicated watches when so many "tractors/base calibers" with proven and reliable track records were already available. Developing a new caliber and testing to make sure that it would be reliable, accurate and durable enough would be a very time consuming process, I imagine.

However, I find it a bit strange that even though JLC have been producing their own movements for a long time, they have been considered a step below PP and VC who happened to use a lot of JLC movements and modify/finish them to their requirements/styles. I guess I might need a primer as to why that was the case in the past

It looks like there is a wholesale move to "in-house" movements, even Patek did this a few years back. Does this signal a death knell to the fine art of ebauche modification and finishing? It looks like more and more people look down on expensive timepieces if they do not have the "in-house" cache (I have probably been guilty of this as well ...).
    Last edited by v76; April 1st, 2010 at 01:04.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Re: Is custom finishing ebauches a dying art?

i think the fine art of finishing ebauche's will continue but at a slower rate and more to smaller watch company's who dont have total in house movements.
    Tag Heuer Carrera vintage calibre 1
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer caliber S
    Tag Heuer link automatic
    Tag Heuer aquaracer chronotimer
    Tag Heuer aquaracer grande date
    Philip admirale chrono v7750
    Burett neo icon auto
    Movado elliptica
    Invicta 9937 auto

Thread Information