- custom watch design -

Thread: - custom watch design -

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

- custom watch design -

- PLEASE SCROLL DOWN THIS PAGE TO SEE THE MORE RECENT VERSION OF THIS WATCH DESIGN! -

Hi,

I recently posted this under the design forum, but it does not seem to get as quick of a response or the large amount of exposure as this main forum. So, I am reposting this thread here. Below is the copy of the contents:

This is my automatic watch design I have been working on. I want to be able to wear a watch I will love now, tomorrow, and 50 years from now. But, fickle as I am, I have been changing some designs (consider my last post on this forum under the heading "My Custom Watch Design." Consequently, I am hoping to draw feedback from this community so that I make it practical, and to see if the aesthetics of the watch are promising. Thus, my attempt is to create a timeless timepiece, yet unique in its own right. The watch is simple, yet complex. Please excuse any imperfect lines, centerings, and case colors/textures. I have been using Corel Draw software to design the watch and I am still learning the ins and outs of how to effectively use it. With that said, I have provided the desired attributes below:

Name: Tempus Ex Machina ("Time out of machine"). The name is derived from the Greek phrase "Deus ex machina" which literally means God out of machine, and it is a mythical Greek plot ploy to have God (or something/someone) save the day in the direst of times. In this sense, the watch symbolizes how time saves the day, for many of our trials are overcome with time. Thus, the name is literally and a-literally taken.

Case: Titanium 6.6.2 (The strongest titanium alloy)

Dial: Matte finish titanium dial with skeleton "hour glass" center signifying how precious time is (I put in a random colorful design, but a proper skeletal design should take its place)

60 minute stop watch dial and pusher at 9 o'clock and 8 o'clock, respectively (which supplements the hourglass concept)

Date and crown at 3 o'clock

Lume is everywhere there is a yellow/heavy-off-white color

Strap: WWII Swiss army leather mauser strap

Movement: *shrug* this is where suggestions/comments would be helpful

Please provide any comments/suggestions/questions. I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by Tempvs Ex Machina; September 8th, 2010 at 05:33. Reason: text change

Re: - custom watch design -

My suggestion :

Lemania 5100 movement
    Second hands anchor or plane design
    Dial number could be reduced

What's the second small dial left? GMT?

Sapphire crystal with AR inside (blue effect)

Cheers

Thanks! I actually really love the idea of making the hour numbers all the same size. Here is the new rendering, with crown/pusher protectors added. I know that the crown for the pusher may not be necessary, but I thought that it acted very well in terms of aesthetics.

P.S. I accidentally edited the first post, but the original image can be found on the design forum.
    Last edited by Tempvs Ex Machina; September 7th, 2010 at 04:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

The skeleton hour glass idea is fantastic. Very artistic, especially if you know that there is a genre of painting called Vanitas painting, where vanity and "tempus fugit" is often symbolized by bones, a skull (elements of a skeleton) and/or an hour glass (or a candle).

I'd make the numerals a more whiter shade of cream. Just a very slight off-white. Possibly all the index markings and numerals in the same color. The small hands should also get lume. It would be great if the date inscriptions were also lumed. This is a very rare feature in watches and is rarely seen. It can be easily achieved if you print onto a lumed date ring. Easier than putting small number in lume material.

I could imagine the indices in the chapter ring to be engraved instead of printed. That will give a very subtle play of light. Make the case in beadblasted ti (so-called shot peened, this hardens the surface and gives a very fine satin tone), but the chapter ring in polished ti with engraved indices.

The bezel of the watch now has what looks like a slate structure. I like that. It would be no problem to make the dial out of slate. The anthracite color of slate and its texture will look splendid in a titanium case. So you have the slate dial, the polished chapter ring and then the satin ti bezel. Very classy. It's an interesting play of structures and light diffraction but since it all plays on the same tone scale it will still be subtle.

If you want to go really high-end, you can have parts of the slate dial polished. For example the sub-dial at nine could have its indices printed on a polished circle and there could be a polished circle around the date window. The skeleton cut-out can get chamfered edges that are polished.

Note: the dial alone might set you back $2k IF you can find someone to do that.

The crown is just a tad too high in proportion. Try it a little less protruding. Take the fourth line of knurling off. Make the knurling as a "Clou de Paris" - hobnail pattern. Very distinguished. You can then set a single row of hobnails around the other edge of the bezel, a double row on the chrono pusher and a triple row on the crown. This way you get a serial and circular element that indicates the nature of time.

I suppose the lugs are still in development?

Do away with the counterweights on the hour and minute hands. Too much. If you want a counterweight it makes the most conceptual sense to have it on the second hand so that each second (the smallest unit of time) is balanced.

The triangle at 12 is too sporty for such a watch. How about making this the single applied index on the dial with a double stick index in rose gold. Do the hands in rose gold for the three main hands and in blackened gold for the subdial hands. The rose gold will look awesome with the off-white (possibly ever so slightly greenish) lume - primary red-green contrast.

If you want to go all out, and it looks like it because you have already invested a lot of thought into this, you could get the movement rose gold plated. That would then peek through the skeleton hour glass.

The overall color scheme would be a contrast of polished, warm rose gold and matte, coldish titanium with just a hint of color through the lume.

What do you think?

Till

Quote Originally Posted by tfar View Post
    The skeleton hour glass idea is fantastic. Very artistic, especially if you know that there is a genre of painting called Vanitas painting, where vanity and "tempus fugit" is often symbolized by bones, a skull (elements of a skeleton) and/or an hour glass (or a candle).

I'd make the numerals a more whiter shade of cream. Just a very slight off-white. Possibly all the index markings and numerals in the same color. The small hands should also get lume. It would be great if the date inscriptions were also lumed. This is a very rare feature in watches and is rarely seen. It can be easily achieved if you print onto a lumed date ring. Easier than putting small number in lume material.

I could imagine the indices in the chapter ring to be engraved instead of printed. That will give a very subtle play of light. Make the case in beadblasted ti (so-called shot peened, this hardens the surface and gives a very fine satin tone), but the chapter ring in polished ti with engraved indices.

The bezel of the watch now has what looks like a slate structure. I like that. It would be no problem to make the dial out of slate. The anthracite color of slate and its texture will look splendid in a titanium case. So you have the slate dial, the polished chapter ring and then the satin ti bezel. Very classy. It's an interesting play of structures and light diffraction but since it all plays on the same tone scale it will still be subtle.

If you want to go really high-end, you can have parts of the slate dial polished. For example the sub-dial at nine could have its indices printed on a polished circle and there could be a polished circle around the date window. The skeleton cut-out can get chamfered edges that are polished.

Note: the dial alone might set you back $2k IF you can find someone to do that.

The crown is just a tad too high in proportion. Try it a little less protruding. Take the fourth line of knurling off. Make the knurling as a "Clou de Paris" - hobnail pattern. Very distinguished. You can then set a single row of hobnails around the other edge of the bezel, a double row on the chrono pusher and a triple row on the crown. This way you get a serial and circular element that indicates the nature of time.

I suppose the lugs are still in development?

Do away with the counterweights on the hour and minute hands. Too much. If you want a counterweight it makes the most conceptual sense to have it on the second hand so that each second (the smallest unit of time) is balanced.

The triangle at 12 is too sporty for such a watch. How about making this the single applied index on the dial with a double stick index in rose gold. Do the hands in rose gold for the three main hands and in blackened gold for the subdial hands. The rose gold will look awesome with the off-white (possibly ever so slightly greenish) lume - primary red-green contrast.

If you want to go all out, and it looks like it because you have already invested a lot of thought into this, you could get the movement rose gold plated. That would then peek through the skeleton hour glass.

The overall color scheme would be a contrast of polished, warm rose gold and matte, coldish titanium with just a hint of color through the lume.

What do you think?

Till

Custom dials are usually done for around $400-$500, I've tried getting my own dial done. Otherwise, I agree with the suggestions you made. Although, I think it would look nicer if the outer bezel was a bit thinner, but perhaps it's fine if it's raised instead of looking flat.

tfar, you really seem to know your watches! I thought about what you said, and I thank you for the suggestions. I have made a new edit to my watch design based on some of your input.

Thanks!

Banned

If you can get a slate dial with cut-out done for $500, that would be great. I also thought it would be nice to repeat that stylized hour glass motive as a cut-out on a skeletonized rotor in the back.

lit2, well I'm a designer by first professional formation, so it's a bit in the blood. ;) The new draft looks already much more homogenous. You can play around a bit with the proportions of rehaut (chapter ring) and bezel. All these things have to be adjusted together. Usually when you adjust one element, most of the others need some adjustment, too. That's why it's so labor intensive.

Till

Could someone please help me to identify if the bezel-to-ring ratio is within an acceptable threshold? Also, is the bezel/case too big in general, or will it do just fine? I would really appreciate any constructive feedback!

Last edited by Tempvs Ex Machina; September 7th, 2010 at 10:28.

Banned

It's an extravagant proportion but it works, I'd say. Edgy but works. How big do you imagine the full diameter to be and how big the dial diameter? Would the bezel be straight or rounded off to the sides?

Till

Quote Originally Posted by tfar View Post
    It's an extravagant proportion but it works, I'd say. Edgy but works. How big do you imagine the full diameter to be and how big the dial diameter? Would the bezel be straight or rounded off to the sides?

Till

Well, ideally I would like the full diameter excluding the crown and pusher to be around 44/45 mm. This case size may be too large (?). The bezel will be rounded off to the sides. It does seem like the case is too large. I have reduced it.

Last edited by Tempvs Ex Machina; September 7th, 2010 at 20:44.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information