Custom watch startup?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By geoffbot
  • 1 Post By little big feather

Thread: Custom watch startup?

Custom watch startup?

Hello guys

i have recently designed a new style of watch. it isnt just a dial design or a color type of design. its more of a new method to display the time using a standard movement like an eta or any movement that works the same. it just has a more clever way of routing the hands and giving some illusion of further complication to the way the time is displayed. i have modeled all this in 3d in a designing program with all the components. i have already applied for a pending patent status and now i am curious of what i should do next. if anyone could offer some advice, i would greatly appreciate it. i have already contacted several known watch companies and asked them if they were interested in a new design, vaguely described how mine works without giving away the secret. they didnt reply much or if they did, they said no. ive gone to this site and tried to contact any companies that specialize in making custom watches, but still i am lost.

thanks.

Re: Custom watch startup?

Kickstarter.

Then, if you wish to promote it here please remember to contact Ernie - [email protected]
    MZhammer likes this.

I do believe that any company/person would have to see it to offer an evaluation...No see no real advice.
    styrakaar likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Probably the first step would be to draft up a Non-Disclosure Agreement so that you can show your design to potential partners/investors. Without showing anything, you aren't going to get very far.
    @watchalefty on Instagram

Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar, H. Moser & Cie Pioneer, Zenith Captain Winsor, Breitling Navitimer
    , Zenith 36'000 VPH, Habring2 Foudroyante, IWC Ingenieur 3239, Nomos Metro 38, Omega Planet Ocean

i tried kickstarter but id have to reveal everything about the watch on that otherwise no one will give money for that. and i also have an NDA. other than that, anyone has any advice on the next step?

Quote Originally Posted by avogev View Post
    i tried kickstarter but id have to reveal everything about the watch on that otherwise no one will give money for that. and i also have an NDA. other than that, anyone has any advice on the next step?
    I've never met an investor who will invest without seeing what they're investing in.

Kickstarter with an aggressive PR rep who will get you on Uncrate, ThisIsWhyImBroke, and maybe even a blurb on some news sites if it's really so "revolutionary".

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Quote Originally Posted by avogev View Post
    if this will be somehow a novel piece, and this is truly your pet project (I'm assuming that's why you're covering it on an NDA), save it for a second run, after you successfully funded a project and made a bit of a name for yourself. As people mentioned, you won't be able to crowdsource something people will not see first.

Other than that, I would tell you to consult with a trademark and patent lawyer, and see how can you protect your intellectual property, and how much you need to/can disclose on Kickstarter to get your project going.

The nice thing about Kickstarter, I think, is people are craving for nice watch projects, and those projects would usually beat the goal, and then some. Sometimes they turn out to be scams (Terry Allison, anyone), but some are legit, and actually really nice. Check out some stories like the Pebble, Padron (I guess that's the name).

Good luck!

Thread Information