Was Customer Service at Pricey Watch Manufacturers better 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Thread: Was Customer Service at Pricey Watch Manufacturers better 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Was Customer Service at Pricey Watch Manufacturers better 10, 20, 30 years ago?

my first Omega was the Multifunction Seamaster. I bought it at Macy's in 1992, as a refurbished, because it had been sized and was missing links. I bought it for $375, and had trouble with it the second year, while under warranty. Brought the watch to an Omega dealer in town, and I was treated very well, even though I didn't buy it there. They sent it to Omega (somewhere in U.S.A.), and I had it back in two weeks. 5 years later, when it was well out of warranty, it malfunctioned again, so I brought it to the same AD, and he forwarded it (gratis) to Omega, and again I had it back in two weeks. They replaced the entire movement and they didn't charge me a dime. I thought to myself...wow...these luxury watch makers really take care of you!

My only other experience before 2000 was in 1977 with my father's Gallet chronograph. He got it in 1961 and by 1977 it was mine and obviously needed a service. I shipped it to Gallet--I believe a U.S. service center--and I had back within a month. Gallet had simply replaced the whole movement, a Valjoux 72, and I was charged $60. Hasn't faltered (occasional use) to this day, though obviously it's time again for a service.

Wonder what experiences others have had with large luxury or semi-luxury watch brands. Were you treated better in decades past?

Re: Was Customer Service at Pricey Watch Manufacturers better 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Nice post!

My first serious watch was a Breitling chronomat when i was 15. about 3 and a half years later it just started running really slowly and/or power reserve lasted about 8 hours. At the time i had no idea why. (This is when my obsession took off) I took it in to the local AD ( not where i bought it) and they sent it to Breitling for free and breitling fixed it for free all in about 6-8 weeks This would have been around 2001
    Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Instagram: @tophstewart

References
    All liinked in one thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/my...rs-903425.html

Re: Was Customer Service at Pricey Watch Manufacturers better 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Customer service EVERYWHERE was better 10,20,30 years ago.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EHV

I agree with this. I don't like to walk into an AD anymore because for the most part, I can't stand the service that I usually receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Customer service EVERYWHERE was better 10,20,30 years ago.

Remember that brick and mortar stores were not competing with online retailers 30 years ago. Overhead now has to be reduced to compete, which probably sacrifices customer service? Just a thought.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    Remember that brick and mortar stores were not competing with online retailers 30 years ago. Overhead now has to be reduced to compete, which probably sacrifices customer service? Just a thought.
    But surely better customer service is probably your best bet of enticing customers to your store from online stores? Some peopel are willing to spend more if they know they are getting a better service. In my experience this applies to many things in life.
    Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Instagram: @tophstewart

References
    All liinked in one thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/my...rs-903425.html

Quote Originally Posted by toph View Post
    But surely better customer service is probably your best bet of enticing customers to your store from online stores? Some peopel are willing to spend more if they know they are getting a better service. In my experience this applies to many things in life.
    I've definitely opted to buy watch accessories from brick and mortar stores for the main reason that the salespeople there treated me really well when I had come in there previously.
    Been looking for a Prometheus Ocean Diver #056

Current Collection:
    Marathon TSAR
    Citizen Eco-Zilla with Suppa's
    Zodiac ZMX-02
    Tag Heuer Indy 500
    Prometheus Ocean Diver Day/Date #247
    Hamilton Conservation #61
    Casio G-Shock Rescue (7900A-7DR)
    Casio G-Shock Mudman (9000-1V)
    Over a dozen 'fashion' watches from when I was young and foolish

Quote Originally Posted by toph View Post
    Nice post!

My first serious watch was a Breitling chronomat when i was 15. about 3 and a half years later it just started running really slowly and/or power reserve lasted about 8 hours. At the time i had no idea why. (This is when my obsession took off) I took it in to the local AD ( not where i bought it) and they sent it to Breitling for free and breitling fixed it for free all in about 6-8 weeks This would have been around 2001

I wonder if that happens at all these days with Breitling, Omega, Rolex...

Are there that many more luxury watches being sold today which would account for service center overwhelm? Is there a shortage of qualified watch repair people? Or is it just such a black hole financially for any watch company that few take it on fully as a part of business they have a responsibility towards?

Thread Information