Cyclops removal?

Thread: Cyclops removal?

Cyclops removal?

I've been lurking on these forums for a while in search of "THE" watch. I haven't found it yet, but there are a couple of watches that I like a lot, yet they have one problem - a cyclops. I detest the look of a cyclops and was wondering if anybody knew if it was possible to remove the cyclops on a Rolex or Panerai without having to replace the whole crystal.

Thanks!

-snap-

Re: Cyclops removal?

Yes, you sure can. A little heat and a well directed tap with a chisel and presto--off it comes. So a search for cyclops removal. There are instructions available. Your watchmaker may be willing to do it, too, though you may have to sign something saying you won't hold him responsible if he accidentally breaks the crystal.
    A watchmaker should also be able easily add a cyclops to a watch, for those of you with aging eyes. FYI
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caraptor View Post
    Yes, you sure can. A little heat and a well directed tap with a chisel and presto--off it comes. So a search for cyclops removal. There are instructions available. Your watchmaker may be willing to do it, too, though you may have to sign something saying you won't hold him responsible if he accidentally breaks the crystal.
    A watchmaker should also be able easily add a cyclops to a watch, for those of you with aging eyes. FYI
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for that info!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

FYI: anti-cyclops people call it a wart.

Removal on a Rolex is a sin; altering.

They're pretty easy to remove. I did one in my kitchen with a lighter and razor blade. I held the watch upside down, put it right at the top of the flame for a few moments, and then carefully slid it off with the razor blade. After that I took a little bit of OOPS on a paper towel and removed any remaining glue from the crystal. Worked great!

Removel of the glued on type is not difficult. However I've serviced a number of Panerai's and those with the cyclops are not the type that can be removed. They are not simply applied to the underside of the crystal like the one on a Rolex is to the top of the crystal. The Panerai models that I have serviced with the cyclops have been machined into the inside of the crystal, so removing them is not really possible.

Here is a photo of the inside of a PAM 104 crystal for example:

Cheers, Al

I hate cyclops windows. Altering is a big sin for watch manufactors, I believe the warrenty will be canceled if any alterations are made. There are after market crystals that you can buy, but you are taking a big chance if you take your watch in a pool. Best advise, keep looking for a watch without a cyclops window that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Removel of the glued on type is not difficult. However I've serviced a number of Panerai's and those with the cyclops are not the type that can be removed. They are not simply applied to the underside of the crystal like the one on a Rolex is to the top of the crystal. The Panerai models that I have serviced with the cyclops have been machined into the inside of the crystal, so removing them is not really possible.

Here is a photo of the inside of a PAM 104 crystal for example:

Cheers, Al
    Oh man, an internal cyclops. I never thought of that. Gorgeous. I'd really want a date sub instead of no-date if it came with that. I just don't want that big thing sticking up to scrape on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    Oh man, an internal cyclops. I never thought of that. Gorgeous. I'd really want a date sub instead of no-date if it came with that. I just don't want that big thing sticking up to scrape on everything.
    Under-crystal magnifiers were much more common in the 1960's and 1970's. I've got an Omega Seamaster and Invicta Eurostar with that feature.
    Last edited by John MS; March 14th, 2011 at 18:39.

Thread Information