Dad's watch

Thread: Dad's watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dad's watch

I read a post about a member who lost his father and wound up with his dad’s watch. He restored the watch to working order and now has a functioning daily reminder of his father. Part of my interest and appreciation for watches came from my father. He always wore a watch and always beat the snot out of them, so never spent much money on them.

Over the years our relationship had its share of ups and downs, the downs assisted by an actual wicked stepmother. He and I never discussed my fascination with watches and when he died his wife wouldn’t allow my sisters or me anywhere near his effects. Blessedly, in a moment of weakness I suppose, she asked me to place his nicest watch on his wrist before his funeral services. After years of doing her best to keep us apart she unwittingly gave me a wonderful last memory of my Dad and me. Funny how something as small as a watch can have such a big impact.

I imagine there are other folks who could share some stories of their own about the sentimental attachments we make with watches and the people that own (or owned) them.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Re: Dad's watch

Below is the Tudor I inherited from my dad after he passed from prostate cancer in 1999. He got it new in Switzerland in 1952 while serving with the RCAF in Germany, wore it when he married my mom and everyday until he got a Rolex Sub in 1976. By then the Tudor was pretty beat up and ended up in a drawer.
    This watch, and his military service medals are the only physical reminders I have of him. He had remarried, and everything else of his, including his Sub, went....elsewhere.

About 10 years ago I had the Tudor redialled and overhauled. Another overhaul a couple of years ago keeps it watertight and running strong. The aftermarket Jubilee-style bracelet is my own addition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Banned

Thanks for sharing, mate. A nice story, but sad at the same time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    Below is the Tudor I inherited from my dad after he passed from prostate cancer in 1999. He got it new in Switzerland in 1952 while serving with the RCAF in Germany, wore it when he married my mom and everyday until he got a Rolex Sub in 1976. By then the Tudor was pretty beat up and ended up in a drawer.
    This watch, and his military service medals are the only physical reminders I have of him. He had remarried, and everything else of his, including his Sub, went....elsewhere.

About 10 years ago I had the Tudor redialled and overhauled. Another overhaul a couple of years ago keeps it watertight and running strong. The aftermarket Jubilee-style bracelet is my own addition.
    That one piece almost eliminates the need for any other. The next generation will enjoy it as well, I would think.

Thanks Toby. Nice but sad describes much of life don't you think? That probably explains why we keep buying watches after we swear off them weekly - pump up the nice and dump the sad.

These were my father's....he liked watches. The Omega, he gave me when he was alive, for my college graduation, it was 6 years old when I received it.
    The Rolexes I got when he died in 1987. They've been serviced & renovated since, my father liked his "stuff" shiny & neat! I took after him, I keep 'em up!
    The story behind his Explorer II 1655....in 1973.....my first job, first big sale, first big commission check...I bought my Rolex Expl. II 1655, my father liked it so much, he went out & got one for himself. We thought we were very cool...everybody had subs. I always smile & think of him when I wear these watches.

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but this thread got me thinking about something that's been bothering me for years. When I was in my teens, my uncle, who was in his 40s, passed away and my aunt gave me his watch. At the time she gave me the watch, she was pregnant with my cousin, but did not know it yet.

The idea has been floating around in the back of my head for the past 20-some years that my cousin really should have his father's watch. I have considered having a conversation with my aunt about this to see whether she agrees that I should give the watch to my cousin -- her son -- but the idea of having what could turn into a very emotional conversation has put me off. For all I know, after she found out she was pregnant, she regretted giving me the watch and has been upset for yeas that I did not offer to give it to my cousin. Or, maybe she will be insulted by the suggestion that I would not want to keep the watch. Or perhaps she does not even remember that she gave me the watch.

Just curious as to any opinions about the "proper" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post

SORRY, I know it's very off-topic, but is that the Steve McQueen?!

I don't think it is off-topic at all. Now please keep in mind that I am a sentimental sap at heart and my response will reflect that.

I think that it is a very generous and heart felt gesture that that you would consider passing the watch on to your cousin. While you could just meet with your cousin and pass the watch to him, talking it over with your aunt first would be what I would do. Sure it may be emotional, but I think it would be so in a good way. Knowing that you kept the watch for 20 years shows that you cared for your uncle and that you were a good steward of his watch. Asking how she feels about you passing it down and sharing your thoughts on why you want to, shows you care about her feelings in the matter and shows your compassion towards her son.

I find it hard to imagine that she would be upset that you didn't offer it sooner. You stated you were just a teenager when she gave it to you, that is pretty young to make decisions like that. Perhaps stating that you have been thinking about it for quite a while but wondered when an appropriate time to pass it down would be. This upcoming Christmas might be a good time for her son to receive a Christmas gift from his father.

Now that he is an adult he might be better equipped emotionally to handle the gift and be better prepared to take over stewardship of the watch.

Good luck and God bless,
    Greg
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

I posted this before:

This was either my grandfather's or my grandmother's. Found it in a drawer after my grandmother passed in 96. She always wore a man's watch in her teaching days because the watches were large. He passed in 69.
    In any event, this dates from WWII, at a time when my grandparents (grandmother was French) and my mother were caught up with the impending war and trying to get back to the U.S. They took a liner to France to bring her home and apparently missed get stuck there in the nick of time
    If this watch could talk. I have kept it exactly as I found it (had a broken mainspring, so had the movement fixed & serviced). Still runs perfectly since.
    "My grail showed up today"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information