The Daily Mash on Expensive Watches
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Daily Mash on Expensive Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Daily Mash on Expensive Watches

Man’s luxury watch successfully impresses fellow twats

I'm guessing that this is in response to last week's Guardian article on watches.

Talk about wilfully missing the point...

Re: The Daily Mash on Expensive Watches

It hasn't really missed the point, it's a deliberate joke. The Daily Mash is a website that satirises and spoofs in the style of a newspaper. It's just having a little laugh at the idea of some people buying expensive watches to impress others or convey a certain image, which lets be frank, we all know that some people do. This hobby isn't so serious that we can't have a little laugh about it sometimes.
    Armchair and dustpilot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    It hasn't really missed the point, it's a deliberate joke. The Daily Mash is a website that satirises and spoofs in the style of a newspaper. It's just having a little laugh at the idea of some people buying expensive watches to impress others or convey a certain image, which lets be frank, we all know that some people do. This hobby isn't so serious that we can't have a little laugh about it sometimes.
    Indeed. I guess I was just being a little thin-skinned as the article seemed to suggest that the only reason why people buy expensive watches is to signal social status to other equally shallow individuals. It was also quite amusing that they thought that a 1400 watch would be considered expensive...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, I thought it was funny.
    ShaggyDog likes this.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

The Daily Mash appears to be the UK equivalent of The Onion. Total satire, but not without a hint of truth. And why did they have do bring golf into it also??

Quote Originally Posted by anaplian View Post
    It was also quite amusing that they thought that a 1400 watch would be considered expensive...
    It is to a lot of people. The people that go out and spend 50 on a watch from Argos and then wear it everyday for five or ten years are probably the vast majority of the public out there. People like us are the exception, not the norm. And yes, many many non-WIS would consider 1400 to be a ridiculously expensive amount to spend on a watch when you can buy a Timex or Casio that does the same job essentially. But like I say, that article is just satire, it isn't to be taken too seriously, even though there is probably a grain of truth in it.
    drhr likes this.

Because in my humble opinion people who play golf (other than the professionals, who do it for the laudable reason that it earns them pots of money) are twats of the first order, as are watch showoffs who think a nice shiny 1,400 trinket will automaticaly (or manually!) increase their vital dimensions, make them attractive to women and help them climb the social ladder. It aint so!

The title alone had me in stitches! It's healthy to be able to laugh at ourselves a little from time to time.

My iPad didn't like the web page any more than I liked the article.

“It’s like joining a club where everyone respects you and you can say whatever you like, so long as it’s not about books." Now this is funny stuff!! Reminds me of some of my favorite Monty Python episodes!!
    ShaggyDog likes this.
    "Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information