A database for watch collectors (Bento® 2 template)

Thread: A database for watch collectors (Bento® 2 template)

A database for watch collectors (Bento® 2 template)

Here you will find a database template to enter information about the watches in your collection.

I started this project because I wanted to get some kind of grasp on my runaway collection, particularly keeping some memory of prices I had paid, the dates when my watches had been revised, what parts had been changed, where I kept original parts that could still be used, etc.

This template is for the Bento® 2 database software (more information here), offered by Filemaker®. This is a database format simple to implement and modify, and the software is also available for the iPod and iPhone, so you can carry all your information around with you!

However, sadly, Bento® 2 is available only to the Mac OS X platform.

The template may be found here. To make it work:

1. Download the template to your desktop and unzip it (if needed)
    2. Double-click on it
    3. It will appear in your “Bento® 2” window...
    4. Start entering data

There is also the possibility of storing up to seven digital photographs of your beloved timekeepers: just drag the picture (in almost any common digital format) into the picture frame, and voilà! You can resize and recenter the picture as you wish.

Transporting the data into your iPod® or iPhone® is a simple matter of syncing between your computer and your peripheral device, but you have to buy Bento® 2 for the iPod and iPhone at the iTunes app store. Five bucks, or so…

If you use it and like it, or if you wish to suggest some improvements, drop me a line!

If there is interest, I should also soon be posting Bento® 2 databases of all the serial numbers for Omega calibers, up to 2008, all the abbreviations and metal codes in Omega technical information, and the Speedmaster models information data.

Hope you like it!
    Last edited by Francois Boucher; May 17th, 2011 at 00:22.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Re: A database for watch collectors (Bento® 2 template)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Lyndon View Post
    Not the same thing at all!

I'm offering a personal database, that you can also carry around on your iPhone.

I may not have been clear…

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Boucher View Post

I started this project because I wanted to get some kind of grasp on my runaway collection, particularly keeping some memory of prices I had paid, the dates when my watches had been revised, what parts had been changed, where I kept original parts that could still be used, etc.
    Thanks for posting this! I don't have Bento on my laptop but it is on my desktop so I can give it a try when I get home.

I had been trying to keep track of all my collection in an Excel spreadsheet but this will give more dimension to it and is also extensible for my own needs.

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by skoochy View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I don't have Bento on my laptop but it is on my desktop so I can give it a try when I get home.

I had been trying to keep track of all my collection in an Excel spreadsheet but this will give more dimension to it and is also extensible for my own needs.

-s-
    If your data is in an Excel sheet, you may export it as a comma-, or tab-delimited document (I prefer tabs... because commas in your text WILL interfere with the importation: a real PITA!), titled such as "Watches.csv" then export it directly into Bento. If the headers of your columns have the exact same title as in the Bento template, the importation will be very simple indeed, because Bento will match the fields automatically...

Filemaker's own plug for Bento® 2 says:
    Complementing Excel and Numbers.
    If you're working with lists in spreadsheets, it's effortless to bring them into Bento for
    iTunes-style searching, quick sorting and instant summary stats.

Thread Information