date adjustment busted

Thread: date adjustment busted

date adjustment busted

i in advertently adjusted the date on my Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon automatic between 10pm-2am. now the date and 2nd time zone hand is busted. i have sent it in to ball for repairs. my qn is: have i majorly screwed up my watch and are they gonna charge me some stupid amt to fix it? its only 3 days old and i wonder if this sort of thing would be covered under warranty.
    what happened was that my watch had stopped and i was pretty sure that it had stooped at after 12pm...but apparently it must have been 12 am cos after i adjusted the date with only 1 rotation it busted...is this normal? seems a bit too fragile if u ask me....and why isn't there some kind of mechanism that would prevent u from doing that? this is my first automatic watch and i'm pretty pissed off with myself for screwing up my first "expensive watch". i'm also kinda pissed that the warning isn't severe enough in the manual...it just says "not recommend" rather than saying "you should never under any circumstance".
    sorry for the rant.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: date adjustment busted

From your description, I fear that something else was wrong with your Ball, and your accidental date change just brought it to the surface sooner.

The date change driving wheel on the 2892 is spring loaded, so that if the quick change is used during the "do not change" time period, nothing should break.

Usually, all that happens is the date indicator hangs up half-way through the change and the quick-change (crown in the second position) no longer moves the date indicator. To fix this, all you do is pull the crown the rest of the way out and rotate the hands through 12pm, then the date indicators should click over to the next date. I have accidently done this several times with 2892s without any damage to the watch.

A good habit to be it is to run the hands through 12 prior to changing the date, to be sure that the AM-PM is set right, after passing 12 push the crown to the second position and finish setting the date, then hack the second hand and set the time.

thanks for your reply....yes i had run the hands over 12 o'clock and the date changes that way, but it doesn't fix itself after that as you seem to be say it should....i guess in that case i can't be blamed and i should be able to claim it on warranty?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by bstorm View Post
    thanks for your reply....yes i had run the hands over 12 o'clock and the date changes that way, but it doesn't fix itself after that as you seem to be say it should....i guess in that case i can't be blamed and i should be able to claim it on warranty?
    Send it in as a warranty issue.

Thread Information