Day/date do not switch over exactly at midnight?

Thread: Day/date do not switch over exactly at midnight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Day/date do not switch over exactly at midnight?

Hi guys, if a watch is tweaked and the day/date do not switch over exactly at midnight is that a mechanical problem? I'm talking about a 7750 automatic watch. I'm sure it can be fixed but I'd like to underrstand the nature of the problem. Thanks much in advance!

V8

Re: Day/date do not switch over exactly at midnight?

Tweaked how? did it get dropped or was it modded in some way.

If you changed the hands they weren't put back on correctly.

Also the 7750 has a slow change over, unlike the 2836 which changes over with a quick click.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

That's not unusual. My Rolex DJ changes over around 12:05. No mechanical problems, that's just the way the watch is.

Jeannie
    Last edited by GinGinD; January 7th, 2009 at 21:29. Reason: spelling

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a watch on E bay and the seller mention this in the discription

"In the interest of complete disclosure, the watch does have one minor flaw - which could happen with any 7750 movement. I adjusted the time when it was too close to midnight, and I did not realize I had not pulled the crown out completely. When this happens the day and date can become slightly out of sync. The only result is that the day and date now change respectively, slightly before and after midnight."

What do you make out of this? The seller said that this can be fixed easily when the watch is being serviced. He never bothered to take care of it because otherwise the watch works perfect. It is still under warranty too.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by pixel_junkie View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a watch on E bay and the seller mention this in the discription

"In the interest of complete disclosure, the watch does have one minor flaw - which could happen with any 7750 movement. I adjusted the time when it was too close to midnight, and I did not realize I had not pulled the crown out completely. When this happens the day and date can become slightly out of sync. The only result is that the day and date now change respectively, slightly before and after midnight."

What do you make out of this? The seller said that this can be fixed easily when the watch is being serviced. He never bothered to take care of it because otherwise the watch works perfect. It is still under warranty too.
    The 7750 has fixed pointers to flip the day and date over at midnight (or as close as possible depending on how the hands were installed), these are brass pointers installed on the gears (see image, borrowed from JohnF), if these pointer are in the path of the date or day wheel gear teeth, and the date or day wheel is forced to index (date change) you may damage the teeth on the date or day wheel or the pointer.

I would ask if the date and day are always centered in their respective windows all the time. If they are not, it may indicate damage was done. If they are always centered, then half and hour 45 minutes plus or minus 12:00 change over is no problem.

On most newer designs (ETA 2824 family, 2892 family, Rolex movements, etc.) the "pointers" are spring loaded so they can be pushed out of the way in case the date wheel is moved at the wrong time.

I have my eye on the same watch.

You cannot see the day/date window in any of the pictures to see if they are straight.

The wording seems to imply that the date can change before midnight and the day after or perhaps the other way around.

Any idea how much that might cost to get serviced?
    Steven

I asked the guy about it. We'll see what he says. But his reserve is already $1000 ...

Depends on how 'not exactly' it is.

I had also emailed the seller. Here is his response:

"The Day actually changes at 10:20 PM, (1 hour and 40 minutes early) and the Date changes at 12:30 AM (1/2 hour late)."

I think I will probably pass on this one.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by vr6gtiguy View Post
    I had also emailed the seller. Here is his response:

"The Day actually changes at 10:20 PM, (1 hour and 40 minutes early) and the Date changes at 12:30 AM (1/2 hour late)."

I think I will probably pass on this one.
    Yeah, that would really bother me, being that far off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information