Decent online source for modern movements/ebauches (in Danish).

Thread: Decent online source for modern movements/ebauches (in Danish).

v76

Decent online source for modern movements/ebauches (in Danish).

Hope this is useful to some ...
    http://www.vintageure.dk/desktopdefa...x=89&tabid=277

The complete list is in 3 pages (alphabetical order).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

v76

Re: Decent online source for modern movements/ebauches (in Danish).

The writer basically goes on to say that many brands obfuscate the source of their movements and precisely how much work goes into modifying the movement from external sources. He also says that their naming and numbering systems further confuses the "uninformed" buyer/collector. He seems to have compiled this sometime in 2006, so it doesn't contain more contemporary movements (like Omega's cal. 8500) as well as a few older movements. Of course, it's only modern movements, perhaps the ones that were still in production in 2005, or thereabouts. And, just Swiss movements ... no Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Czech or Indian movements

The numbers in the brackets next to the movement indicates his personal rating (1-10) based on work done on the movement, technical excellence and finish. He also gives the movement base if the ebauche used is non in-house. I'm not sure if he's a watchmaker (or a collector/hobbyist, perhaps?), how much his expertise is with regards to movements or anything else, but it makes for an interesting read (and perhaps a kind-of-useful database).

PS: Looking at the scores, the more complex the movement, the higher it seems to score. Also, old classical manual wind column-wheel chronographs such as the Valjoux 23 or Venus 175 seem to score pretty well ...
    Last edited by v76; November 25th, 2010 at 16:36.
    Collection:

v76

I also find it strange that the 2892 gets a poor rating (3), and not a whole let better with the heavily modified IWC version (5).
    Collection:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! It looks like a very good reference site indeed, I wish I could read Danish
    ~ Daniel ~

Thread Information