Deciding between the Rolex Yachtmaster or the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Deciding between the Rolex Yachtmaster or the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Deciding between the Rolex Yachtmaster or the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium

Hello, been a long time lurker and now I finally have something to say/ask

So I've gotten the itch to upgrade my watch lately. The nicest watch I've ever owned was a Hamilton Code Breaker Chronograph with the (Valjoux 7753 movement)

Right now i'm rocking a Precisionist Chronograph and it's a good watch, just too huge! So I'm going to make a jump and get a nice watch that I'd want to pass down to my Son when he's older. I've narrowed it down to two.

What do you guys think?

Rolex YachtMaster

Pros:
    * Platinum Bezel
    * Great resale value
    * Classy/understated
    * Great blue dial
    * White Gold Hands and hour markers

Cons:
    * Expensive (I've been to two Authorized Dealers and none will budge (not even with Cash/Wire Transfer)
    * Stainless Steel Bracelet
    * No Chronograph
    * Dated Movement 3135 (in-house at least)
    * looks like any other Rolex

MSRP $11,550

Name:  38540-2f412a3a27538da296d5e29c7307c9b1.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  142.4 KB

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium Chronograph

Pros:
    * A little cheaper (Authorized Dealers willing to work a discount)
    * Titanium Case and Bracelet
    * Excellent Movement 9300
    * A little different and bold for Omega

Cons:
    * HUGE about the same size as my Bulova
    * Hour marker fell off while trying them on
    * Questionable resale (found new one on grey market for 7400 already)
    * Available Leather strap
    * Omega's support not as good as Rolex's

MSRP $10,600

Name:  232-90-46-51-03-001.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  83.6 KB

Re: Deciding between the Rolex Yachtmaster or the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium

Welcome,
    They are both great watches- i think it comes down to whether you want a Chrono or not. Ive never been a Yachmaster fan but that Blue would be eye catching.
    Regards Cam

Re: Deciding between the Rolex Yachtmaster or the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium

Hard to pass up that blue YM, wish it didn't have the cyclops or the date for that matter but, oh well . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * International Watch Company * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    Welcome,
    They are both great watches- i think it comes down to whether you want a Chrono or not. Ive never been a Yachmaster fan but that Blue would be eye catching.
    I was looking at the TT Sub, even though it's a classic design I don't do Gold very well. The White Gold Version is like 37k so that's out, I like the Yachtmaster a lot as a sort of compromise

tried on a yacht-master II GMT last week, i thought the dial was too busy. it was also not THAT much smaller than my nixon 51-30, if size is a concern for you.

a family friend has a titanium seamaster professional, and i think it's a sharp looking watch. but if i saw an hour marker fall off of it, i'd run and never look back.

are you dead-set on high-end automatics? since you already have a precisionist, it's worth mentioning that bulova brought back the accutron name....and they're using it for smaller-sized precisionists. the accutron II alpha is, essentially, a precisionist with the dial and case of the original accutron spaceview. i just found out about this watch a few hours ago, and i'm already trying to figure out what i can trade (my movado bold that i never wear, one of my nixons, maybe an organ) for the new 'tron. that way, you get something a little smaller, but you get to keep the 16vps second hand!

Quote Originally Posted by davehzrd View Post
    tried on a yacht-master II GMT last week, i thought the dial was too busy. it was also not THAT much smaller than my nixon 51-30, if size is a concern for you.

a family friend has a titanium seamaster professional, and i think it's a sharp looking watch. but if i saw an hour marker fall off of it, i'd run and never look back.

are you dead-set on high-end automatics? since you already have a precisionist, it's worth mentioning that bulova brought back the accutron name....and they're using it for smaller-sized precisionists. the accutron II alpha is, essentially, a precisionist with the dial and case of the original accutron spaceview. i just found out about this watch a few hours ago, and i'm already trying to figure out what i can trade (my movado bold that i never wear, one of my nixons, maybe an organ) for the new 'tron. that way, you get something a little smaller, but you get to keep the 16vps second hand!
    Yeah the Sales person played it off cool "Whoops sending that to our watchmaker..."

I've always wanted a high end automatic, the Bulova is out

Banned

Have you seen and tried on the the Rolex Deep Sea ?

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 10.57.07 PM.png
Views: 1762
Size:  204.4 KB

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I'd pulle the trigger on the Rolex, just because of the fascinating blue.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I would buy the YM without hesitation primarily for aesthetic and size reasons.

IMHO, I love Rolex a lot more than Omega as a brand, and I do love this YM, but the Omega Chrono version is incredible. I'd probably take the Rolex for a better fit because the PO is super thick and large. If I already had other Rolex's and wanted a PO, this would be it. If this is your first Rolex, then no way I'd consider anything else.

I considered the same PO myself, for maybe a day, then I came to my senses and go this....there's just something special about wearing a Rolex that you just don't get with any other watch

mleok, swissgmt and CombatChuk like this.

"Cheers"
    KD

Fully trained and certified Desk Diver

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information