Decision Time: Blancpain Fifty Fathom GMT vs Panerai 88

Thread: Decision Time: Blancpain Fifty Fathom GMT vs Panerai 88

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Decision Time: Blancpain Fifty Fathom GMT vs Panerai 88

And I so, I managed to stop by Tourneau and a few other watch stores to try on some watches.

I like the JLC Master Geographic, but it runs a little too small and I'd rather get the Master Compressor. The watch is pretty but a little too delicate for its purpose.

So now I am down to two (with one possible sleeper)

Blancpain Fifty Fathom Trilogy GMT

vs

Panerai 88

and just maybe Bell & Ross GMT

which one would you pick an why ?
    Last edited by watchmanee; September 3rd, 2009 at 03:33.

Re: Decision Time: Blancpain Fifty Fathom GMT vs Panerai 88

Emmmm.... decisions decisions, but personally if I had the choice I would pick the Blancpain really love the Bezel, case, and dial. Depending on what you are doing the BR might be the best all around watch Im not to hip on this Panerai model the fisheye magnifier takes the wind out of my sails seems like my eyes go right their a bit distracting but if you like it that should carry the day.

happy watch trails,
    Dan

I would only buy the Blancpain preowned and if the price is really attractive as they don't hold their value so well. The Panerai on the other hand should hold it's value well. I'd still buy preowned. And make sure whichever one you get is not in need of service and is functioning properly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drster View Post
    I would only buy the Blancpain preowned and if the price is really attractive as they don't hold their value so well. The Panerai on the other hand should hold it's value well. I'd still buy preowned. And make sure whichever one you get is not in need of service and is functioning properly.
    I was thinking I might just buy a pre-owned Panerai, there are plenty of PAM88 online, but I also heard there are a lot of fake Panerais out there.

Do you know how much does it cost to service a Panerai watch ? Some of the pre-owned ones might need major overhauls soon.

On the other hand, the BP is sweet, it's probably pushing $5k or a little more.

If I were in your shoes (and economic bracket) I'd choose the Blancpain over the other two without so much as blinking. That particular model is a thing of beauty

Quote Originally Posted by gerrylb View Post
    If I were in your shoes (and economic bracket) I'd choose the Blancpain over the other two without so much as blinking. That particular model is a thing of beauty
    Obviously it is the best out of the three in reputation, history, accomplishment, a haute horology of a different class.

But my concern is how robust is Blancpain, there's not much info out there, it wasn't exactly Rolex, you can let it run for 20 years and the engine will just keeps on going and going. Not to mention servicing a BP might be very costly and a service center is probably going to be difficult to find.

On the other hand, Panerai's boutiques and authorized service places are plenty. Of course buying a Panerai would just make me one of those people

I think that blancpain looks amazing. Ususally I would go with the Panerai but between those particular models, definitely the fifty fathoms.
    My Collection:
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Glashutte PanoReserve
    Vintage Omega Seamaster

Dream Watch:
    Patek Nautilus 5711

All great watches and hard to choose between. Myself, I think I would favor the B&R simply based on the stark contrast and readability of the dial. Also, the square case and eye-grabbing boldness of it would garner lots of watch interest and comments by others. --Always a good thing when you want to talk watch.

1. Blancpain
    2. Panny
    3. Never

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    1. Blancpain
    2. Panny
    3. Never
    +1.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information