Decisions, decisions...
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Decisions, decisions...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    South America. Is like America, but South.

Lightbulb Decisions, decisions...

Oh, where i start.

Greetings again fellow members, watch snobs, erudites, knobs, commoners, royals. Sometimes one finds oneself in a interesting point in life, a point of transition, where our own impulses think they can decide better and that, my friends, is what i want to avoid.

Here, short background. I live in the country with one of the worst managed economy in the world (take a guess), and have what i can't identify as a love or obsession with watches/timepieces/as-you-desire-to-call-them. I'm 24 years old, not upper class, no lower class. Most of my teenager years i spent playing and collecting cards of the game "Magic: the Gathering" and as a result, i was able to raise a considerable amount of money even for my age. Consider that my salary in my current job is extremely low if you exchange it do US Dollars (Inflation is out of charts). When i say a considerable amount of money, near 10K $. Living with parents too, so no housing payments, share some bills of negligible importance and i get to enjoy most of the money i have on myself.

Now, i've bought two somewhat notable watches for my age and condition (these are on my signature). But, here is the thing, i want to shoot for a grail now. My grails are, as for now and plausible, a Rolex GMT Master Pepsi, a Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Calendar, a Rolex Submariner LV, a Omega Seamaster 300M (Blue) and a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Duo, in that order. Every single one of them in my budget, new or preowned. But there are MANY things to consider.

First, i could use the dough on education. Even though i'm enrolled in public higher education, i could use the money for a year abroad.

Second, the economy of my country means, that money will be very, very difficult to raise back once i spend it. Having that backup money means a lot of pressure off. Having a Rolex might not if a emergency comes and i need the cash.

Third, crime is so rampant i won't be able to enjoy my potential watch as much as... Normal people enjoy their watches in normal countries.

Fourth, and most importantly, is really a watch what i need to feel good? Whatever how much i love watches or not?

I take into consideration, those years of collecting and having these valuable cards which i painfully sold recently. I believe i could reward myself for being a nerd in high-school instead of going out with chicks and partying (Heh.)

So, what would you do in my position? Should i get me a nice pre-owned GMT Master, Moonwatch or whatever and blame myself on the consequences? Or play safe and have the money burning a hole below my mattress? (It's not under my mattress, you cat burglars).
    Omega Seamaster 2223.80
    Frederique Constant Classics 303SN5B6
    Movado Series 800 2600115
    Tissot T-Classic T.065.430.16.031.00
    Casio G-Shock G1100BD-1A
    Watch collection improving . Watch box looking good.

Re: Decisions, decisions...

If you can afford the watch and have time and a means to enjoy it I would get it. However I live in the states so it's easier for me to say something like that. I say put the money towards your education. Once you get your education, you will be able to improve your chances of getting hired at a great paying job and build a career there and work your way up to the top of the company. At that point in your life you will be able to afford all your grail watches you listed and move to a place where you can enjoy all your watches.

I'm not going to venture what country you reside in. However, you paint a very bleak place, economically at least. The part about not being able to raise the funds again once spent gives pause. Don't spend it on watches. If anything invest in yourself. Take that year aboard if it means you'll be more marketable in your home country or better yet, if you can find a work visa and stay in a better managed economy afterwards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"I live in the country with one of the worst managed economy in the world (take a guess),"

You live in the United States...?

All kidding aside, I would invest in yourself before buying a fancy watch. Especially given your statements: "Consider that my salary in my current job is extremely low"... "that money will be very, very difficult to raise back once i spend it"... "i could use the dough on education"...

Eric
    rfortson likes this.

As you said, you wouldn't really be able to enjoy the watch due to your situation. Don't buy one.
    rfortson likes this.

Spend your money on education or travel and get a G-Shock.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

I sold off a chunk of my legacy and modern cards about a year ago. I had been investing quite a bit the previous 3-4 years into all the staples and luckily prices had really gone nuts so it was an easy decision plus I'm more of a limited\standard player. Made quite a bit off them but no way I could have dumped it all onto one high end luxury piece. It just wouldn't have felt right. It did help me put down a sizable down payment on a very expensive vehicle lol which is probably even less wise but it will now be paid off much sooner making it easier for me to save and buy a luxury watch later. Remember it is a watch. Its something nice to wear, feel good about, and enjoy. Its not a priority in life though or even as important as a really expensive vehicle ha. :) kidding of course
    Polynwa likes this.

A grail is something you aim for and feel wonderful when you have it finally. However, once you have it you won't have your aim anymore. Having a grail you want is part of the fun. There are more important things in life than having what you want most. If you can afford your education, afford to give some back to your parents, and afford to care for yourself in the immediate future then go for it. If not, you will always have another chance to obtain your grail.
    Polynwa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tourbill View Post
    I sold off a chunk of my legacy and modern cards about a year ago. I had been investing quite a bit the previous 3-4 years into all the staples and luckily prices had really gone nuts so it was an easy decision plus I'm more of a limited\standard player. Made quite a bit off them but no way I could have dumped it all onto one high end luxury piece. It just wouldn't have felt right. It did help me put down a sizable down payment on a very expensive vehicle lol which is probably even less wise but it will now be paid off much sooner making it easier for me to save and buy a luxury watch later. Remember it is a watch. Its something nice to wear, feel good about, and enjoy. Its not a priority in life though or even as important as a really expensive vehicle ha. :) kidding of course
    Ha, we speak the same language. I've playing and collecting for 14 years already. It is probably a never-ending necessity to collect things (cards, watches, coins, i might have OCD as far as i know). I don't quite need another car and y'all may feel how tempting is to get that GMT Master.

Studying abroad is a great option for sure, and first on my list. But i also have this perspective of why would i spent thousands of dollars on something that is free and, into some extent, of good quality in my country? I could spend it just traveling and seeing the world, who knows.

Would you see it as some sort of invest if it is something that will hold it's value well in the years?
    Omega Seamaster 2223.80
    Casio G-Shock G1100BD-1A

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    A grail is something you aim for and feel wonderful when you have it finally. However, once you have it you won't have your aim anymore. Having a grail you want is part of the fun.
    That's a good point of view, i guess. I've never actually acquired something material i've wanted so much (if not, for a quite long time) as, let's say, a grail watch. It must be an odd feeling, sort of an accomplishment.
    Omega Seamaster 2223.80
    Casio G-Shock G1100BD-1A

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information