Decisions, Decisions...
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shutterbug57

Thread: Decisions, Decisions...

Decisions, Decisions...

Well, I went to the local AD today to take a gander at what he had in a solid yellow gold dress watch. They had a Patek 5196 that rather stuck my fancy. BUT, while there, I noted that the Rolex TT DJ II now has a jubilee bracelet. Not only that, but it comes in my dream configuration with stick hands, white dial, fluted bezel along with the Jubilee bracelet. I understand that these two watches are entirely different, one is a dress watch and one is a tarted up sports watch.

The Patek is what I am looking for, although, if I go that route, I will want to take a look at offerings by Vacheron, JLC, Omega and others, but will demand yellow gold. That, I believe, will rule JLC out, but I will check it out. The Rolex, in that exact same configuration but the smaller version, is what I have been wanting for 3 decades. When they came out with the DJ II on a oyster bracelet only, I was sorely disappointed, they have remedied that situation.

Anyway, what was a relatively easy decision, search out the yellow gold dress watches and buy one, has morphed into a fight between genres. I don't actually NEED either of these watches, but I would like either or both. Like I said, decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Shutterbug57; October 21st, 2016 at 00:42.

Re: Decisions, Decisions...

If you have been waiting 3 decades for a watch and didn't change your mind in that entire time, I would think you have to go that route.

I personally would go with the Patek as I like more under the radar and that TT Datejust is anything but that.

That calatrava is my favorite in their current lineup in terms of aesthetics, but the tiny movement concealed behind a solid caseback is a deal-breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Since you will probably have both before done, I'd pick one and continue on . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Who ever needs a watch now days. Anyway, if your pockets are like that get both. They are completely different and will go with different outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    Since you will probably have both before done, I'd pick one and continue on . . .
    This is probably right.
    drhr likes this.

That Calatrava, in rose, white and yellow gold alike, is IMO one of only two really beautiful Pateks in the company's current collection (the other being the Gondolo tank).

IMO, screw that Datejust, get the Patek. It's just way more classy and nowhere as ostentatious.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

As it seems the OP has decided to get both (eventually), it's just a question of which to buy first. I would choose whichever brand gives me the most swag for my purchase. Complimentary hat, pen set or gym/overnight bag would sway me in one direction or another. I mean, hey, you are buying both right?
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

Thread Information