Decisions decisions decisions
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Decisions decisions decisions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Decisions decisions decisions

Ok folks, fed up with my mechanical watches not keeping time and expense of servicing Iím moving back to quartz. My current favourite mech is a Tutima Pilot FX. Love the countdown bezel. This has drawn me to the Kobold Langley GMT. Unfortunately I havenít read good reports on the brand and for the movement it seems over priced!? The 2nd watch Iím drawn to sadly doesnít have the count down bezel but is the the Sinn UX. What are your thoughts on these two? Or do you have other suggestions that might fit my search? Thank you for reading

Re: Decisions decisions decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Derbylad View Post
    Ok folks, fed up with my mechanical watches not keeping time and expense of servicing Iím moving back to quartz. My current favourite mech is a Tutima Pilot FX. Love the countdown bezel. This has drawn me to the Kobold Langley GMT. Unfortunately I havenít read good reports on the brand and for the movement it seems over priced!? The 2nd watch Iím drawn to sadly doesnít have the count down bezel but is the the Sinn UX. What are your thoughts on these two? Or do you have other suggestions that might fit my search? Thank you for reading
    To be able to offer relevant advice, rather than everyone shouting about their own favourites, we could use some ideas about what you want and/or need. I'll offer some questions and no doubt you'll get some more. Thinking carefully about this now could save you a lot of money and disappointment.

What do you want to wear it for? Every day (what sort of occupation), sports, other strenuous activities, smart wear, ...
    What functionality do you want? H+M+S obviously, date, day, time zone(s), chronograph, ...
    Power source? Single-use battery, solar power
    Water resistance? Washing hands, swimming, diving, ...
    Size & weight? Max diameter & thickness, wrist size, 100g - 250g, ...
    Construction? Steel (normal or hardened), titanium, ceramic, gold, platinum, ...
    Colours? Case, dial, ...
    Bracelet or strap?
    Luminous?
    Bezel? None, diver, bidirectional?
    Required accuracy? Ordinary quartz (+/-15 sec/month), HAQ (+/-10 sec/year)
    Type of accuracy? Standalone, radio controlled, GPS
    New or used?
    Country of manufacture?
    BUDGET!!!

See if you can answer at least some of those.
    ronalddheld likes this.

What functionality do you want? H+M+S obviously, date, day, time zone(s), chronograph, ...
    No to chronograph. Day date not important. Would prefer without but not a deal breaker.

Power source? Single-use battery,

Water resistance? Yes, see below

Washing hands, donít know what this is!?

Swimming, yes but I donít dive.(see above)

Size & weight? Would like to keep case width below 44mm. Weight, not important

Max diameter & thickness, see above

wrist size, will have to check

Construction? Steel (normal or hardened), titanium, ceramic, gold, platinum, ... Hardened steel would be nice, either way, nothing polished

Colours? Case, dial, ... steel colour but not polished

Bracelet or strap? Donít mind

Luminous? Yes

Bezel? None, diver, bidirectional? Would prefer a count down bezel as Kobold Langley

Required accuracy? Ordinary quartz (+/-15 sec/month), HAQ (+/-10 sec/year) Would like HAQ

Type of accuracy? Standalone, radio controlled, GPS? Standalone

New or used? Prefer new but would look at used from reputable sellers

Country of manufacture? Donít mind

BUDGET!!! £2000 GBP

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

HAQ and AW moderator

Time,battery 100m WR steel Lum hands and marker intrinsic HAQ budget ~2600 USD. Is that a summary of your requirements?

Yes, that would be a summary but note that Iím not looking for a chronograph, I want a clean watch face, uncluttered

Quote Originally Posted by Derbylad View Post
    I always liked my Sinn UX. Wish I had it back. Built well, keeps great time. Have to ship to Germany for oil change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    If I bleat when I speak, it's because I've just been fleeced!

Al Swearengen

Hi Swengen, thank you for the response. I have a few questions, how often did it need an oil change? Was it expensive? Could you change the battery without an oil change?

Grand Seiko SBGX117.
    HAQ with a (regular) bezel.

Stretch your budget a bit for a new one though.
    Name:  Grand-Seiko-Quartz-Diver-SBGX117-SBGX115-aBlogtoWatch-23.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  154.4 KB
    ronalddheld and Synequano like this.

It does seem that you have specified the Sinn UX quite accurately. And why not? It does need to go back to Sinn for a battery change (and fresh oil), about every 7 years.

One thing to be aware of, although it may not matter to you: the hour hand is not independently adjustable. So for DST changes, and travel across time zones, you have to reset the minutes & seconds. That's the only reason I didn't get one. Check out Sinn's website for the various versions of the UX.

Just another point: unlike the other older (pre-PreciDrive) ETA TC quartz movements this one is not suitable for regulation by the user (or even a helpful watchmaker). It does have the calibration terminals but you'd have to replace the oil when you opened the back.
    Last edited by chris01; February 3rd, 2018 at 12:35.

Hmm, what are peopleís thoughts on the Kobold?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information