Decisions Decisions, Rolex or Schauer or Rolex?

Thread: Decisions Decisions, Rolex or Schauer or Rolex?

Decisions Decisions, Rolex or Schauer or Rolex?

I have some money coming to me from a bonus at work and I am pondering a purchase. This would be more of a special occasion watch, probably not a daily wear piece.

1. A custom Schauer chronograph Edition 7 (white face, blued hands, valjoux 7750) with only with the Edition 12's angled off bezel for a more smoothed off look. On an Artus mesh bracelet. Should be an impressive watch. The Artus and being a chronograph really would set it apart in my collection, I love the face and hands like some like the Marine Original's.

OR

2. Rolex GMT II with black face and bezel, oyster bracelet. I like the standard date subs quite a bit but this has that something more to make it special to me. Has more of that recognition factor too but most important I really just like the watch. I would like to do this on a NATO strap too, really cool.

OR

3. The watch I really lust for is the Rolex Yachtmaster Stainless/Platinum. What can I say, work of art and highly in demand so the price reflects it. Won't be able to afford it in my watch budget with this bonus but could easily hold out for a while to get it.

My other watches are a Stowa Seatime Yellow Chronometer and an Oris Flight Timer 2 black face, both on their original bracelets as well. I am just not a leather strap kind of guy.

Planet Ocean

Re: Decisions Decisions, Rolex or Schauer or Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by scottjal View Post
    I have some money coming to me from a bonus at work and I am pondering a purchase. This would be more of a special occasion watch, probably not a daily wear piece.

1. A custom Schauer chronograph Edition 7 (white face, blued hands, valjoux 7750) with only with the Edition 12's angled off bezel for a more smoothed off look. On an Artus mesh bracelet. Should be an impressive watch. The Artus and being a chronograph really would set it apart in my collection, I love the face and hands like some like the Marine Original's.

OR

2. Rolex GMT II with black face and bezel, oyster bracelet. I like the standard date subs quite a bit but this has that something more to make it special to me. Has more of that recognition factor too but most important I really just like the watch. I would like to do this on a NATO strap too, really cool.

OR

3. The watch I really lust for is the Rolex Yachtmaster Stainless/Platinum. What can I say, work of art and highly in demand so the price reflects it. Won't be able to afford it in my watch budget with this bonus but could easily hold out for a while to get it.

My other watches are a Stowa Seatime Yellow Chronometer and an Oris Flight Timer 2 black face, both on their original bracelets as well. I am just not a leather strap kind of guy.
    You answered your own question. See # 3 above.

Agreed, if you really want the third watch go for it.
    Invicta 8926
    clebar
    alsta

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, forgot I posted this. Anyway price aside, I put a lot of thought into it and I think the Yachtmaster as much as I like its raw looks would be getting into the bling area that I definitely want to stay out of. Mostly business casual or below and never worn a suit except when interviewing etc. I thought about it and I don't need a chrono, the elapsed timer dive bezel style is enough for me. I used to be in the Marines and our timecard system at work is in 24hr so that is like second nature to me. I have taken my Flight Timer out of the country a couple times and the dual zone time, while a little awkward to read, was a definite bonus. With all this in consideration I settled on the GMT for me.

Have had my GMT for years you'll love it.

Good Morning,

I have a Schauer Kulisse #10 and I think this is much nicer than any mass produced Rolex.
    With this Schauer you are interested in, look at its clean face and beautiful bezel and then look at the Rolex ??
    My Schauer makes me feel good when I wear it knowing it is hand made and comes from a small watch making company in Germany. I know that isn't on the wrist of most people I meet.
    Not saying Rolex isn't a great watch, this is only my opinion, we all like what we like.
    I am sure your decession will be fine.

Judd

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Good Morning,

I have a Schauer Kulisse #10 and I think this is much nicer than any mass produced Rolex.
    With this Schauer you are interested in, look at its clean face and beautiful bezel and then look at the Rolex ??
    My Schauer makes me feel good when I wear it knowing it is hand made and comes from a small watch making company in Germany. I know that isn't on the wrist of most people I meet.
    Not saying Rolex isn't a great watch, this is only my opinion, we all like what we like.
    I am sure your decession will be fine.

Judd
    I know what you mean by the exclusivity of the Schauer, I have been explaining to everyone that asks that the bright Yellow Seatime is a Stowa and I get the deer caught in the headlights look because no one has heard of them. I explain they are a fine watch manufacturer in Germany and the whole conversation turns out to be a little awkward and uncomfortable because they don't know a thing about it and we have no common ground to discuss then. I also do really like the clean face and blued hands, much a work of art but then consider practicality that it has no lume at all...

Something else that is coming as a bit of a surprise is that the Rolex is much more wearable on my small wrist at 40x12mm. I wasn't expecting a couple mm to make a difference but the difference is there.

Planet Ocean

If you have the ability to try a couple of your choices on your wrist, then I would. This year I ended up with two watches I never even thought to own, but I just loved them on my wrist. I think you should get the watch that calls out to you, and the one you just love putting on and wearing for whichever reasons appeal to you.

From your post, it seems you "lust" after the Yachtmaster. I believe that comes in both 38 mm and 40 mm sizes. You should try both. I personally don't see much "bling" in that watch, but if you do, you might consider a watch I just bought and love, the Girard Seahawk II (mine is the 42 mm BMW Oracle Racing version with the carbon fibre dial, but there are many variations) No one knows what it is on my wrist (anti-bling?) but I love it.

That would be the standard I would use---- do you love it?

Wow, I would have gone for the Schauer hands down. I will never own a Rolex unless it is vintage. They just don't do anything for me. (OK, I do have a secret lust for the Yachtmaster)

Thread Information