The decline of the Swiss watch?
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: The decline of the Swiss watch?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The decline of the Swiss watch?

We've heard all the stories, and Apple just announced it out-sold the entire Swiss watch industry...

My experience is this: I bought a rather expensive watch for my wife a few years ago. It's a nice watch, stainless, and it feels good in my hands. It's a major manufacturer we all know, and they aren't cheap. Recently, it required a battery change; did I mention it's quartz? I brought it to an authorized jeweler to have the change performed and after a few days, they told me the movement was damaged. They could not set the date. This is a "dress" watch, and my wife rarely wears it. I asked the (authorized) watchmaker what the problem was and what movement the watch used. What he told me shocked me.

When I looked online, this watch used an ETA quartz movement that I could buy for around ten dollars. The jeweler quoted me more than $500.00 dollars and that didn't include work.

I own two (mechanical) Breitlings and I'm more-or-less happy with them, but I will never buy a Swiss "electronic" or "quartz" watch again.
    Last edited by whalerpilot; February 23rd, 2018 at 23:06.
    Seibei likes this.

Re: The decline of the Swiss watch?

It sounds like that’s a big problem with your jeweller rather than the watch.

Take it to someone who won’t charge such an exorbitant price.
    pkulak, ffritz, City74 and 4 others like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Buy an Apple Watch w/that $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brey17 and David G. like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rolling eyes Re: The decline of the Swiss watch?

Advice that is not given by a 'WIS'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vioviv View Post

He wants something that lasts more than a couple years.
    Chris Stark and Quartersawn like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

You could also buy 100 of those eBay, $5 watches. In 10 years, you'll be in the same place as you will be with a disposable/out of date computer watch.

Member Horological-psychologist's Avatar

Wow! People like this should get prosecuted. I've heard stories like this one before!
    "The most dangerous thing in the world is an IGNORANT with INITIATIVE."
    Luis Muñoz Marín

Quote Originally Posted by whalerpilot View Post
    We've heard all the stories, and Apple just announced it out-sold the entire Swiss watch industry...

My experience is this: I bought a rather expensive watch for my wife a few years ago. It's a nice watch, stainless, and it feels good in my hands. It's a major manufacturer we all know, and they aren't cheap. Recently, it required a battery change; did I mention it's quartz? I brought it to an authorized jeweler to have the change performed and after a few days, they told me the movement was damaged. They could not set the date. This is a "dress" watch, and my wife rarely wears it. I asked the (authorized) watchmaker what the problem was and what movement the watch used. What he told me shocked me.

When I looked online, this watch used an ETA quartz movement that I could buy for around ten dollars. The jeweler quoted me more than $500.00 dollars and that didn't include work.

I own two (mechanical) Breitlings and I'm more-or-less happy with them, but I will never buy a Swiss "electronic" or "quartz" watch again.
    Too many logical fallacies...

- Apple iWatch outsells Swiss watches.... McDonalds outsells fine dining.... Toyota outsells Mercedes....
    - take it to random jeweler who either screwed up or straight up lies - how does that say anything about industry
    - Did you take it to the mall? Most competent watchmakers can do a battery change with eyes closed.
    - you are surprised that a quartz watch uses quartz movt? Renoir paintings used watercolors - paint sold for $2/gallon (or something). What does it have to do with final product
    - Tell your "jeweler" to shove it. $500 is crazy if movt can be swapped. Get another watchmaker.

PS. Be ready to have your mind blown... Japanese quartz watches can be thousands of $ as well.

Keep in mind - a fine Swiss watch (even quartz) can be working 50 years from now. An iWatch will be in the trash in next 2-3 years, as iWatch 2, 3,..., 7..., 11 come out. (remember Palm Pilot or Blackberry?)
    Lawes, monza06, timefleas and 4 others like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

I don't see this as an issue with the Swiss watch industry. Also, I'm not a huge fan of quartz watches.

There are only two which I would consider buying. One is the G-Shock analog. The other is a Movado Museum. Both of which can be had for under $250.
    You're either qualified or not qualified

Not to be Captain Obvious, but the jeweler probably priced it way high so they didn't get their quote accepted. Old trick, so as to not admit they don't know what they're doing.
    BigSeikoFan, Brey17 and DilliTime like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information