Define Limited Edition !

Thread: Define Limited Edition !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Define Limited Edition !

"Limited edition" means different things to different people - marketing departments have hijacked the meaning, IMO.

In our world here, what, however, really is a comfortable definition of a "limited edition"?

Certainly (I think certainly) under 100 pieces would qualify.

1000? That seems like a lot to me.

I'd like to keep the idea on watches sub $6-7k because I don't want price to be a major factor in the definition.

Any one care to define this?

Re: Define Limited Edition !

Limited Edition- Certain type/amount of watches produced and once that number is reached they no longer make anymore of them identical to it.

Minimum- 10
    Maximum- 2000

Good number for me is 300-500.

Omega James Bond an LE of 10,007.

Limited Edition means something only if there's a demand, many LEs will sit for years unsold and
    ignored and some have made a good living off of it; Roger Dubuis. A tiny change and another
    LE of 28.
    Last edited by Watchbreath; November 18th, 2007 at 21:04.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree that Limited Edition numbers do seem to get a bit, shall we say, large, these days but when you take the numbers involved in worldwide sales of any particular watch into account, a couple of thousand would seem quite reasonable. There again it's probably only the WIS community that worries about Limited Editions anyway.

I tend to get more fed up with the sheer number of editions that Omega have brought out for watches like the Speedmaster. They seem to have dozens of the things now. I know it brings out a bit of variety on the basic concept but they seem to have an edition out every year or more frequently these days!
    "The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by BNF-CH View Post
    1000? That seems like a lot to me.
    Not to me. Cartier once ha a LE of an ladies Art Deco, limited to 1000 pieces worldwide. I had the luck to get one (825/1000) and we never met a second one. "Limited" enough though.

When I bought my Americas Cup "Limited Edition" I was told by the AD that it meant it was one of 10,000 - and that for Omega, that really was a "limited" edition compared to the hundreds of thousands of other models they produce.

To me, the designation "Limited Edition" would be a model of which, say, 500 or less were produced and then no more. Ever.

I would say any production run of less than 1000 for worldwide distribution would be right.
    My Anonimo is Number 42 of 300 but my Glashutte Original is Number 2 of 500. (I was informed that Number 1 was likely to be in the museum - not sure about that?!)

Campanola ..........

does Ltd. Editions as low as 20 and as high as 1500. The recent Eco-Drive Chronographs have been Ltd. to 300 ............

#1 of 20

#1 of 300

#3 0f 300

#52 of 300

#159 of 1000

#42 of 1500

#41 of 1500

Campanola's limited production normally doesn't even satisfy demand in Japan.

Kurt

Interesting discussion. My DOXA 750T Mil Sharkhunter (in PVD)is one of around 100 but the model itself is "limited" to either 3000 or 5000(really not a hell of a lot of difference, lol). So for those seeking a Mil Sharkie, there are 100 out there, as i understand it, and there will be no more. Is it worth more? Well if you REALLY wanted one, and mine was THE ONLY one available, I guess I could charge you a premium. Limited is limited by how much you will pay!

paul

BTW those Campagnolas of Kurt's are absolutely stunning no matter how many there are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Very interesting thread.

I guess the Breitling in my avatar would be considered a "limited edition + " It is #11 of 100 made by the company specifically for Breitling collectors in Canada; none were ever offered for sale directly to the general public through an AD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information