Delighted with new purchase, the end of my journey?
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Delighted with new purchase, the end of my journey?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Delighted with new purchase, the end of my journey?

Hi guys

I wanted to share my excitement at my first watch purchase since 2016. The Explorer II white dial. This one has been a long time coming but it was worth the wait!

Iíd wanted to add a 4th and final watch to my collection, and I was aiming for a) a GMT complication and b) a white/light coloured dial. I have been researching for a long time (I donít need to tell you guys about endless watch research!)

I started buying watches in 2014 so itís been a 5 year journey for me, almost to the day.

My first purchase was a huge deal for me and my family of wife and young kids. I wasnít earning much money at the time and it felt scary making such a purchase. But over the last few years I started my own business and Iíve had a bit more to spend.

Very early on, my wife bought me a watch box containing 4 slots, on behalf of my kids as a Fatherís Day present (they were too young at the time to make the suggestion themselves). From the outset it was important to me that I donít take this hobby to insane levels (or what seemed insane for me, Iím not judging anyone else with larger collections!) so I promised myself I would stop at 4 watches, in order to fill the box I was given.

I have made a few mistakes - Iíve purchased 8 watches in that time, and Iíve ended up with what has Ďstuckí.

This was a learning experience for me. I tried too hard to be logical and methodical about my collection, so I dismissed the Exp2 for a long time because I didnít want a second Rolex. The plan was: a 4-watch collection, all different brands, and all different purpose/complication. So I wasnít Ďallowedí the Exp2 because it was breaking the rules by duplicating the Rolex brand.

But in the end my heart won the battle, and Iím really delighted with the result. Such a great watch with crazy legibility and a good companion to my Sub.

And here is the rest of my collection which it will be joining (I donít have a photo of all 4 watches together because the Reverso is currently away for a service)

At the moment Iím totally content and I canít imagine buying anything else. Im at the place where I always hoped to be for the last 5 years. But Iím not naive enough to say Ďnever againí...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Delighted with new purchase, the end of my journey?

Dig the Reverso!
    joe.d likes this.

Congratulations! That is a fine four watch collection.

Being logical and methodical isn't a bad approach, but whatever framework one creates should still be used as guidelines, rather than set-in-stone rules.

I also have four "core" watches, but I supplement them with two, more affordable watches that offer variety. Affordable being the key word as I don't feel too bad about rarely wearing them, and I can sell and replace them with whatever new affordable watch might be released in the future. I think your collection could do with having a more fun watch, something with a bit of colour and/or flair (such as a Timex Q), but that is also relatively affordable.
    joe.d likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations on the new purchase, Very nice collection.

I am looking for a Polar Explorer.
    Got the call from an AD I do business with a few weeks ago they had an Explorer ll if I wanted it.
    Unfortunately it was not the white dial so I declined.
    Hopefully that still keeps me at the top of the list when the next one come in.
    joe.d likes this.

The end of your journey...for now!
    joe.d likes this.

Very Nice composition in a 4 watch collection! I love it!

A similar collection with less prestige might look like this: Bulova Moon Watch; Seiko SKX007; Longines Admiral GMT GMT; Rotary Elite Reverso
    joe.d likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.d View Post
    I tried too hard to be logical and methodical about my collection,
    I can relate!
    joe.d likes this.

You have a fine collection of classics. Congratulations on the latest addition.

As for "end of journey," yes, possibly. And you would be in "great shape" with such examples in the watch box. The great thing about the watch hobby (that I sometimes I feel myself forgetting) is there is absolutely no obligation to the hobby. You are not obligated to add or remove watches from your collection. You are not obligated to follow the pulse of the hobby during times you have little or no interest in it.

When I bought a Sinn EZM 10, it replaced a watch six times its value. I wore the Sinn daily for over two years. During that time, I had very little interest in the hobby and rarely thought to look at watch forums, or even glance in watch stores. I had no intention of adding another watch, nor was I interested in selling the odd pieces I scarcely wore. Then one day it changed. Wouldn't you know it, Watch U Seek was still there! I got very active for the last six months, but now I feel myself losing interest again as my small collection is very satisfying to me at the moment. What happens next? It doesn't matter! It just happens, and that is just fine as long as the watch hobby doesn't become an unhealthy obsession.

I wish you luck and happiness with the hobby. Don't bother looking for the next watch to add. If it is meant to be, it will find you!
    that 1 guy, joe.d and BC Wave like this.

Well done, congrats!
    joe.d likes this.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Sponsor

Fantastic collection. Congratulations!
    joe.d likes this.
    At My Gift Stop, we aim to help our customers save by offering a quick and easy solution in finding amazing last-minute gifts for their friends and loved ones! We believe in being of service and want to give back!

The great people at Direct Relief help those affected by poverty or struck by disasters to improve both their health and their lives. We want to do our part in supporting this noteworthy cause by giving 5% of each sale's purchase price to Direct Relief.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information